Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com> on 2007/12/03 22:18:25 UTC

Hadoop Meetup at Rapleaf 12/18 - Featuring Powerset!

We’re hosting a free technical presentation at the Rapleaf offices
and we’re fortunate to have some key players from Powerset joining
us.  The topic will be on Hbase and we’ll discussing structured
storage as well as Apache’s Hadoop project.

This will be the first of many tech presentations we’ll be hosting/
sponsoring, as we look forward to further engaging with the
engineering community.

Go here to sign-up:

http://www.eventbrite.com/event/85834734

Event description below.  There’s only 50 spots available, so be sure
to sign up ASAP.  This will open up to the public on Wednesday, 12/5/07.

-Bryan Duxbury

HBase: Ready for Prime-time? ...Presented by Powerset and Rapleaf

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:45 pm PT - 9:00 pm PT
San Francisco, CA

How do you store and retrieve massive amounts of structured data once
you exhaust the capacity of your conventional database? If you work
at Google, you use Bigtable, Google's distributed storage system,
which stores data for projects such as Google's web index, Google
Earth, Google Finance.

If you don't work at Google, you now have the option of using HBase,
an Apache project and open-source implementation of Bigtable-like
structured storage. HBase is part of the Apache Hadoop project and
runs on top of Hadoop's distributed file system, HDFS.

How does HBase work and is it ready for you to run in your
organization? How easy is it to deploy? How do you contribute back to
the community? Come hear from core HBase contributors (Powerset) and
recent adopters and contributors (Rapleaf) as they describe the HBase
system and how they're using it within their companies.

THIS EVENT IS EXCLUSIVELY FOR THE TECHNICAL/ENGINEERING COMMUNITY.

Schedule:

6:45 - 7:00: Grab a drink and get seated

7:00 - 8:15: Presentations & Discussion

8:15 - 9:00: Mingling

Presenters include:

Jim Kellerman, Senior Engineer, Powerset

Bryan Duxbury, Software Engineer, Rapleaf

Drinks/Food:

There will be sandwiches, chips, etc. as well as soda and beer for
everyone.  That's right, there will be beer.

Re: Hadoop Meetup at Rapleaf 12/18 - Featuring Powerset!

Posted by hank williams <ha...@gmail.com>.
<quote>
How does HBase work and is it ready for you to run in your
organization?
</quote>

Ok, so I am in new york and unable to attend. But I presume by
presenting this question, that the answer, at least for some folks
must be yes. If this is true it is exciting news. Could someone please
elaborate? Its been my impression that HBase was pretty far from being
deployable. Has a lot of progress been made? Is it really now stable?
Losing data in something like this would be a *real* bummer.

Thanks
Hank

RE: Hadoop Meetup at Rapleaf 12/18 - Featuring Powerset!

Posted by edward yoon <we...@udanax.org>.
I feel sorry I can't go there because it's too far.
(I would like to see the video of this conference)

B. Regards,

Edward yoon @ NHN, corp.
Home : http://www.udanax.org