Posted to qa@openoffice.apache.org by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org> on 2018/02/01 00:24:50 UTC

Re: Testing: Is there any interest in the old TestLink system and/or test cases?

On 01/31/2018 02:04 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 8:27 AM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hi Kay,
>>>
>>> I hope to one day soon try my hand at some QA.
>>>
>>> I just looked around TestLink and it looks interesting.
>>> Is this web service donated to the project?
>>>
>>> Is there a risk of loosing this information somehow?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Carl
>>>

>> ​Carl, I don't really know the answer to your first question about
>> donation of the Testlink platform to AOO.
>>
>> Yuzhen Fan, a current committer and PMC member, seems to be the last
>> administrator of
>> ​Testlink with the Adfinis group​, and may have some answers on this.
>>
>> On the second question. Although there are some test cases ported to the
>> AOO user wiki, we would be wise to collect up the test cases on the
>> Testlink platform as soon as we can for safekeeping.
>>
>> Previously, I was only involved in QA as a tester.
>>
> ​A slight clarification on this response.
>
> The TestLink instance on ​
>   http://aootesting.adfinis-sygroup.org/
> ​was setup and administered by members of the QA area initially, all PMC
> members.
> ​
> Some AOO committers involved in QA, myself included, had administrative
> capabilities within the AOO TestLink instance but not the actual instance
> itself.

Hi Kay,

Thanks for the clarification.

I agree that having important information such as this only outside of
Apache controlled assets is a risk.

I would be good if they have a way to export them so we at least
maintain a copy.

I can also see the benefit of the service being maintained as long as
it's available to us.

Best regards,
Carl

Re: Testing: Is there any interest in the old TestLink system and/or test cases?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On 02/09/2018 09:35 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 11:33 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org
> <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>         On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 2:37 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>
>             If this is the issue, that instance will have an
>             administrator that can do
>             the export. Adfinis guys show up on the dev list when
>             needed, so you might
>             want to ask there.
>
>         ​Will do. Might it be OK to contact Adfinis directly about this?
>

>     Of course. I don't have any contacts, but maybe you can find
>     something in the dev list archives.
>

>     Regards,
>        Andrea.
>

> ​I just sent a short message to their general Contact Us email.
> Meanwhile, I'll move on to some other items.​
>
> ​We can always just do some cutting-and-pasting and get these cases put
> someplace else.
>
> ​

Another quick update about this. It seems you can bring up "test cases"
and use Print view to bring them up separately in your browser. So, I'm
going through the cases using this appraoch and saving them
individually. When I've got this complete, I will upload them to the wiki.

Re: Testing: Is there any interest in the old TestLink system and/or test cases?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 11:33 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 2:37 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>
>>> If this is the issue, that instance will have an administrator that can
>>> do
>>> the export. Adfinis guys show up on the dev list when needed, so you
>>> might
>>> want to ask there.
>>>
>> ​Will do. Might it be OK to contact Adfinis directly about this?
>>

> Of course. I don't have any contacts, but maybe you can find something in
> the dev list archives.
>

> Regards,
>   Andrea.

​I just sent a short message to their general Contact Us email. Meanwhile,
I'll move on to some other items.​

​We can always just do some cutting-and-pasting and get these cases put
someplace else.

​

MzK

"Ring out the false, ring in the true."
 -- poem "In Memoriam", Alfred Lord Tennyson

Re: Testing: Is there any interest in the old TestLink system and/or test cases?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Mechtilde wrote:
> I don'tknow exactly which system you mean.

This discussion is about Testlink. See https://s.apache.org/HxCf for the
archives.

> But if we have any old notations about testing  this would help us to
> create new one.

The idea is simply to get hold of the Testlink system and all testcases
it already contains (so that we can make a backup of them, just in
case). We haven't used it for years, and I personally have never used it
at all, but apparently it is good enough and it would simply need to be
reactivated.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Testing: Is there any interest in the old TestLink system and/or test cases?

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
Hello Andrea,
hello *,

I don'tknow exactly which system you mean.

But if we have any old notations about testing  this would help us to
create new one.

Is there also a new tool like a testtool available where we can crate
the new one step by step.

Kind regards

Mechtilde

> On 01/02/2018 Kay Schenk wrote:
>> I can browse the test cases -- and there are a LOT of them -- but not
>> do an export as described in the documentation
>
> If this is the issue, that instance will have an administrator that can
> do the export. Adfinis guys show up on the dev list when needed, so you
> might want to ask there.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Debian Developer
## Loook, calender-exchange-provider, libreoffice-canzeley-client
## PGP encryption welcome
## F0E3 7F3D C87A 4998 2899  39E7 F287 7BBA 141A AD7F

Re: Testing: Is there any interest in the old TestLink system and/or test cases?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On 01/31/2018 07:27 PM, DurgaPrasad Potnuru wrote:
> it should be possible to export test cases from test link to OOCalc. Check
> below links.
>
> http://demo.testlink.org/latest/docs/tl-file-formats.pdf
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19003017/testlink-export-complete-test-cases-into-openoffice
>
> As such testlink is a very handy tool I believe, but I also agree we need
> to take a call whether we continue to use it otherwise migrate the valuable
> test cases data into platform in use.
> If we are migrating we need to take a call of what to do with whether
> 1)shall we update User wiki at
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/QA/TestCases/#AOO_3.4_General_Testing_Test_Cases
> or
> 2)keep the test cases Calc sheet for ready reference.
> <<I can contribute here>>
>
> In the end, I believe we need to have all test cases in one place with some
> IDs where all QA volunteers can share them and run the test cases.

Thank you for investigating this. Yes, we do need to have all test cases
in one area and the wiki is a good place. You might find it helpful to
just setup a guest account on the now abandoned server and have a look
around:
http://aootesting.adfinis-sygroup.org/login.php?note=expired

What I experience using my guest account is that I can browse the test
cases -- and there are a LOT of them -- but not do an export as
described in the documentation for Testlink 1.9.3 --

Posted by DurgaPrasad Potnuru <pv...@gmail.com>.