Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Onder SEZGIN <on...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/18 18:49:42 UTC

Task #85e57cec: Improve the Request Processing guide

Hi,

I would like to contribute to the task.
Any guidance how i can do that is appreciated.

Cheers

Re: Task #85e57cec: Improve the Request Processing guide

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.
+docs@

Hi!

> I would like to contribute to the task.
> Any guidance how i can do that is appreciated.

I would start from https://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/, that contains
all the basic info to make a change to the httpd documentation. Then the
task requires a full immersion in httpd's request processing code to write
down a good overview in
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/developer/request.html. We also have
HTTP/2 support now so the task is more challenging and interesting (Stefan
has already written down some good docs in https://icing.github.io/mod_h2/).

Please note a couple of things:
- This task will require knowledge of C and httpd's internals, plus a lot
of time :)
- This email list should be kept as free as possible from random questions
about httpd's internals, so a good idea would be to batch doubts that you
might have and ask some guidance once in a while. At least, this is how I
try to balance my desire to know vs spamming the httpd's devels.
- The task is part of a major effort to expand
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/developer. The idea would be to ease the
initial ramp up for people interested in understanding httpd's internals
(and possibly submitting changes). This docs section already contains super
good docs like https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/developer/modguide.html,
but it needs a bit of care and love.
- There are good IRC communication channels on freenode, namely #httpd and
#httpd-dev.

Thanks a lot for your interest!

Luca