Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org> on 2002/06/17 22:35:20 UTC

[a5] is the time really now?

There has been a *LOT* of traffic recently discussing dreams of what v5
should look like. There is obviously lots of time and brainpower going into
these discussions. My question is, is now really the time to be embarking
upon this redesign?

v4 is barely a year old. There are a fair number of projects built on top of
it already. IMHO our energy might be better spent enhancing what we have now,
making it more attractive to other developers w/ solid component
dependencies, metainfo that is portable across multiple container
implementations, and everything else that makes a project "mature".

We all seem to love the design process and making something "just right", but
is it not "good enough" right now? Maybe I've just been hardened by the real
world, there's never enough time to achieve api nirvana.....

just some thoughts.
-pete

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org

Re: [a5] is the time really now?

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 22:35, Peter Royal wrote:
> There has been a *LOT* of traffic recently discussing dreams of what v5
> should look like. There is obviously lots of time and brainpower going into
> these discussions. My question is, is now really the time to be embarking
> upon this redesign?

I think the good part here is that starting of with the notion "as long
as we provide migration and compatibility tools, it is okay to remove
deprecated stuff" makes the discussion a bit easier. It seems to me
that, once we have a picture of what we would do in that case, what will
become 4.2, 4.3, 4.4 etc will be less hassle and a better product.

The direction we are going in so far (looking at Berin's summary and
Steve's comments) indicates that those 4.2, 4.3, 4.4 releases will
indeed fill the needs we have, making A5 uneccessary for a long time
yet.

> v4 is barely a year old. There are a fair number of projects built on top of
> it already. IMHO our energy might be better spent enhancing what we have now,
> making it more attractive to other developers w/ solid component
> dependencies, metainfo that is portable across multiple container
> implementations, and everything else that makes a project "mature".
>
> We all seem to love the design process and making something "just right", but
> is it not "good enough" right now? Maybe I've just been hardened by the real
> world, there's never enough time to achieve api nirvana.....

=)

If you look at the whole A5 discussion as centering around "what should
we refactor?", and then the answer mostly being like "this is cool, that
is cool, let's tweak this, let's formalize that, let's add some
functionality here" (as opposed to "dump this, completely revamp that"),
that seems to indicate we're pretty close to nirvana, and little
refactoring is required.

The thing that gets a lot of attention is the ComponentManager/
ComponentSelector/ Component / Container bit, which has been out on the
table since I got here and is about the #1 point of misuse. We're slowly
making progress (since we've figured out that we should have metainfo in
a separate place).

If it takes a version 5 to settle this issue in the end, so be it. It is
probably worth it.

regards,

- LSD

Re: [a5] is the time really now?

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@osm.net>.

Peter Royal wrote:

>There has been a *LOT* of traffic recently discussing dreams of what v5
>should look like. There is obviously lots of time and brainpower going into
>these discussions. My question is, is now really the time to be embarking
>upon this redesign?
>
>v4 is barely a year old. There are a fair number of projects built on top of
>it already. IMHO our energy might be better spent enhancing what we have now,
>making it more attractive to other developers w/ solid component
>dependencies, metainfo that is portable across multiple container
>implementations, and everything else that makes a project "mature".
>
>We all seem to love the design process and making something "just right", but
>is it not "good enough" right now? Maybe I've just been hardened by the real
>world, there's never enough time to achieve api nirvana.....
>
>just some thoughts.
>-pete

I am real happy with A4.
I think there is a lot we can do to strength A4 along the lines you
noted above without breaking anything in A4.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net
http://www.osm.net

RE: [a5] is the time really now?

Posted by Stephen Haberman <st...@chase3000.com>.
I really like the idea of filling out A4 a bit more before embarking on
A5. I've been reading the Avalon docs off and on over the last week and
have been really impressed.

However, I want to use Avalon on a project coming up and my boss would
be much more open to using an A4 that has matured and easier for us to
develop with than using an A5 that is API-perfect but less mature.

Just my opinion; I'm still new enough that I don't have a clue as to
what a "mature" A4 would constitute, other than, from a user's
standpoint, I like it.

- Stephen

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>