Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Keith Hatton <kh...@axiomsystems.com> on 2004/01/09 12:23:18 UTC

WSDL best practices?

Hi all,

I'm looking for any experiences and thoughts about best use of the <documentation> tag in WSDL.

In particular, I've noticed that if I use it in the <porttype> section of my WSDL, the text is copied as a comment into the interface Java source code, which is nice (though it would be even better if the comment was Javadoc-style rather than // ...). But <documentation> elements in the <types> section seem to be ignored in the generated Java files.

What sections are worth putting <documentation> into? I'm thinking particularly for the benefit of code-generation tools (including but not limited to Axis).

Thanks
Keith

Re: WSDL best practices?

Posted by Tom Oinn <tm...@ebi.ac.uk>.
Hi Keith,

I'd suggest that you document everything, whether used by current tools
or not. The project I'm involved with is based on consuming web services
and other resources and compositing them into workflows, any additional
information we can gather from the WSDL to guide the users through this
process is valuable - if we can find documentation for an operation and
the parameters it takes it is much easier for our workflow designer to
determine whether the service is appropriate.

Cheers,

Tom Oinn (taverna.sf.net)