Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Paul Nock <pn...@medicineplanet.com> on 2001/02/20 23:37:24 UTC

sendRedirect 1.8 and 1.8.1+ differences...

Have some very weird behavior with cocoon 1.8/1.8.1 and the Nokia WAP
toolkit and HTTP Redirects - I'm using Ulrich Mayring's auth taglib.

With cocoon 1.8, everything works fine.
With cocoon 1.8.1 (and later) the redirect stuff for authentication does not
work with Nokia's WAP toolkit.

Now, I'm sure the problem is ultimately with Nokia's toolkit - but that's
not open-source so I can't fix it ;-) Fact is SOMETHING about the redirect
generated by Cocoon 1.8.1 is different, and for the life of me I can't see
what it is.  When I "GET" the url through telnet, nothing obvious stands
out, and I can make the Nokia toolkit redirect with my own non-cocoon cgi
stuff.  Any other browser works fine.  If I look in the cocoon log file, I
can see the redirect happening - accessing a protected URL, then redirecting
to the login.xml page, but on the simulator itself I just get a blank
screen.

Weirder still is that the Nokia Toolkit has a config option
"allow-http-redirect", or something like it with a default of FALSE.  This
would obviously explain why the 1.8.1 redirect does NOT work - because it's
disabled.  But in that case, why does the 1.8 redirect work?

Why do I care? The Nokia "allow-http-redirect" option is a WAP gateway
setting, so I can't rely on it being set the way I want for Nokia browsers
to get to my site. I would like my 1.8.2 Cocoon installation to redirect
Nokia browsers the same way that 1.8 does.

Paul Nock

RE: sendRedirect 1.8 and 1.8.1+ differences...

Posted by Uli Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Paul Nock wrote:

> Well, I made sure and tried your most recent auth.xsp.xsl, and it doesn't
> make any difference.

Drats, then I should look into using RequestDispatcher, maybe that will
help with the Nokia Browser.

> I don't see what you've changed though - the new version seems to work fine
> with 1.8 for me.  Don't see any noticeable differences in the code.

Well, perhaps you're not using Tomcat and are thus immune to the redirect
issue. What has changed between 1.8 and 1.8.1 is the "early exit", meaning
that cocoon is told to stop processing immediately, when it encounters a
redirect during XSP processing. This stoppage of cocoon was done via an
Exception that was thrown and I inadvertently caught this exception within
the auth taglib. So I changed my code to not catch this cocoon exception,
but I think with 1.8.2 the exception from cocoon was changed to be thrown
only internally, so you should be ok now in any case :)

What I meant that doesn't work anymore with 1.8 is the soap taglib, sorry
for the mess-up.

Ulrich

RE: sendRedirect 1.8 and 1.8.1+ differences...

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Posted by michele bianchi <mi...@pow2.com>.
On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Paul Nock wrote:

> Have some very weird behavior with cocoon 1.8/1.8.1 and the Nokia WAP
> toolkit and HTTP Redirects - I'm using Ulrich Mayring's auth taglib.
>
> With cocoon 1.8, everything works fine.
> With cocoon 1.8.1 (and later) the redirect stuff for authentication does not
> work with Nokia's WAP toolkit.
>
> Now, I'm sure the problem is ultimately with Nokia's toolkit - but that's
> not open-source so I can't fix it ;-) Fact is SOMETHING about the redirect

my experience is that wap broswers (or gateways, it's not important who
is) don't support http redirects (302).  i do it with the wml command:

<xsl:if test="../@completed = 'true'"><onevent type="onenterforward"><go
href="somewhere/></onevent></xsl:if>

i'm currently using 5 wap emulators and every one has its behaviour, still
dirrerent from a real phone!

mic

dott. michele bianchi                                       power of two s.r.l.
phone +39 335 5384700                                      http://www.pow2.com