Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> on 2001/07/13 15:12:47 UTC

Introduction new committer

Hi Team.

Now, that I've been part of the team for a week it's high time to
introduce myself.

First, let me say that I'm overwhelmed that I was invited to take part
in the further development of C2. Thank you very much, especially to
Davanum for nominating me. I will try to produce code and ideas that
are up to the very high standard of cocoon.

I'm 30 years old, and currently pursuing a Ph.D. in computer science
at the databases and distributed systems group at the Darmstadt
University of Technology (TUD), Germany. Before, I graduated in 1997
with a MSc in computer science and business administration from the
University of Technology Braunschweig.

My interests are mainly on the coupling of ai techniques with
databases and I'm looking into using a description logic from sql.
For this I'd like to build a demonstration application with cocoon.

The other motivation for my commitment on cocoon is, that my position
at the TUD involves some teaching duties. One is a database lab where
15 to 20 students learn how to design a database schema, implement it
together with triggers and stuff and build a web enabled application
that uses the database. Last fall we started to use cocoon 2a3 for
this. Well, frankly, this was a bit of a fiasco because the learning
curve for c2a3 proved to be too steep for most students to take,
partly because of the lack of documentation and partly because the
available docs contain references to many new technologies.

So this will be one concern, to make C2 easy enough to use for such
projects and provide some building blocks for database driven web
applications.

Currently, I'm looking into some issues with ESQL and the
DatabaseActions. After that I'll probably look into improvements and
magic for forms :-)

I hope to get as much feedback as possible.

	Chris.

--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de