Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by "David Castro (arimus)" <ar...@users.sourceforge.net> on 2006/07/01 01:56:32 UTC

Re: Contributing with a Configurable Hibernate Appender

Stefano Girotti <icecuber <at> hotpop.com> writes:

> Hi to all i was looking for log to db when i found:
>
> hiberlog
>
> http://www.entwash.org/hibernate/
>
> but i need some more configuration.... for example it force to have only an
> application-wide hibernate configuration... while i think it's better to
> have separetion of concerns...
> so i take inspiration and made a Configurable Hibernate Appender... it's the
> first time i develop an appender so i'm not sure of some aspect...
>
> Wich is the best way to contribute & review my code..... I have to build
> some (JUnit) test? open a sourceforge account/project?
> Send it in this ng?
>
> And Some tech for example.... i need to have different parameters for
> configuration.... and some parameters have dependencies... for example i
> have the name of the configuration file and the className that read that
> file and provide hibernate sessions....
> so i can't configure until i have all parameters needed... or it's possible
> to have multi - parameters passed as one!??
>
> At present time everey time a log message is appended i check if i need to
> configure... and in my case configuring hibernate generate more log
> message!!! it was quite hard but i get it working :D
> maybe it's better to have configuration before the first logging event
> occours???
>
> Another aspect [OT] is the inheritance of hibernate configuration.... if i
> change db connection settings of the "master" application i'd like to
> inherit... but at the same time i'd like to be able to have a different db
> connection for logging purpose only......
>
> Hi to All & Thanks!!

I used this page as the template for creating hiberlog:

    http://www.hibernate.org/97.html

It is licensed under the LGPL as hibernate is right now.  I'd have to rewrite a
couple things from scratch or we'd have to get permission from the original
author to relicense.  Most of the code is pretty simplistic and contains little
unique IP, so that would be pretty easy if folks were interested.

There is also alot of testing and some fixes that would need to be done before
it could be considered production worthy.

Cheers,
David