Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Paul Gier <pg...@redhat.com> on 2008/05/21 18:42:48 UTC

Resolving parent poms in the dependency tree

I noticed that the dependency plugin currently does not include parent poms when
generating the dependency tree (MDEP-167) or when calling dependency:resolve.
Is the exclusion of the parent poms by design or is this something that just
hasn't been implemented yet?  I would like to have a way to print out all the
dependencies of my project (including poms, plugins, etc.) but currently I think
the only way to do this is to start with a clean repository, and then look at
the contents after a build was run.

Long term, what is the best way to handle this?  I didn't see any current way in
the maven artifact resolution API to get a list of dependencies that include
parent poms.  Does it make sense to add something like this?

Thanks!

Re: Resolving parent poms in the dependency tree

Posted by Paul Gier <pg...@redhat.com>.
A new goal would be fine with me.  When I looked into implementing it, I saw
that the changes could be pretty significant, like you said.  That's why I
brought it up here before I start working on a patch.

Maybe it could be something like this to clarify between parent parent pom and
dependent pom.

[INFO] org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-jar-plugin:maven-plugin:2.3-SNAPSHOT
[INFO] +- org.apache.maven:maven-project:jar:2.0.7:compile
[INFO] |  +- (org.apache.maven:maven:pom:2.0.7:compile - parent pom)
[INFO] |  |  +- (org.apache.maven:maven-parent:pom:5:compile - parent pom)

In answer to your last question.  Both finding all parents poms that a project
uses and where parents are in the tree is the goal.

Posted by Paul Gier <pg...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Paul Gier <pg...@redhat.com>.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Posted by Paul Gier <pg...@redhat.com>.