Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org> on 2019/06/27 15:10:45 UTC

Ignite Modularization

Ignite developers and users,

I'd like us to consider Ignite modularization as part of Ignite 3.0
timeframe. Presently, Ignite codebase mixes both core capabilities with 3rd
party integrations. It leads to the following:

   - Cumbersome and continuously growing codebase with many 3rd-party
   dependencies.
   - Some of the integrations are questionable and should no longer be
   supported by the community at all.
   - Integrations evolution is bound to Ignite release cycles even though
   no changes are needed in the core.
   - Ignite community has to support everything (test, release, fix,
   continue development) which requires to have particular integration experts
   on a permanent basis - doesn't work.

Here is an IEP:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/IEP-36%3A+Modularization

Please review it, share feedback. Pay attention to the list of integrations
that should no longer be supported by the community.

-
Denis

Re: Ignite Modularization

Posted by Павлухин Иван <vo...@gmail.com>.
Denis,

> I think this should be optional. Do you think we need to do it in the first instance

In my opinion we should at least have a solid understanding of the
subject. I think it worth having a separate discussion regarding Java
9 modules. Today java modular subsystem seems to be not widely adopted
yet. And many Java library developers are satisfied delivering their
jars to be used as automatic modules. I think that today Java 8 is the
most widely used version. But the situation can change soon and we
should keep our eyes peeled.

--
Best regards,
Ivan Pavlukhin