Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/08 09:33:24 UTC

Better Jira components

Hi,

I'd like to streamline the Jackrabbit components in Jira (currently
core, xml, query, etc.) to better match the project structure in svn.
This would help us better track changes per release artifact.

See below for a proposed restructuring of the Jira components. In
short this change would lessen the categorization metadata on
jackrabbit-core issues but increase metadata on other components. If
we want to keep the finer granularity, we could use an prefix
mechanism like core:query, core:xml, etc.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

----

contrib
    contrib PMs

jackrabbit-api
    Jackrabbit API

jackrabbit-classloader

jackrabbit-core
    clustering
    config
    core
    locks
    xml
    xpath
    namespace
    nodetype
    observation
    query
    security
    sql
    transactions
    versioning

jackrabbit-jca
    jca

jackrabbit-jcr-commons

jackrabbit-jcr-rmi
    rmi

jackrabbit-jcr-server

jackrabbit-jcr-servlet

jackrabbit-jcr-tests
    test
    JCR TCK

jackrabbit-site
    docs
    site

jackrabbit-text-extractors
    indexing

jackrabbit-webapp
    webapp

jackrabbit-webdav
    webdav

There are also a few generic and not yet released components that I
haven't yet figured how to best handle:

    JCR 1.0.1
    JCR 2.0
    JCR API
    jcr-mapping
    jira
    maven
    SPI

Re: Better Jira components

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com>.
Why not for the jcr-mapping somerthing like :

jcr-mapping
  ocm
  nodetype-management
  annotation
  spring

Re: Better Jira components

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 8/8/07, Padraic Hannon <pi...@wasabicowboy.com> wrote:
> Managing releases that span multiple projects does tend to be a pain in
> Jira as the version field is specific to a project. This means you
> cannot query for all tasks for a release across multiple projects unless
> you create a separate release field (at least that has been our
> experience here at Edmunds).

The idea of splitting the Jackrabbit into multiple Jira projects would
be tied to starting independent release cycles for each subproject
that is big enough to warrant it's own Jira project. This way we would
keep a simple mapping between releases and Jira projects.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Better Jira components

Posted by Padraic Hannon <pi...@wasabicowboy.com>.
Managing releases that span multiple projects does tend to be a pain in
Jira as the version field is specific to a project. This means you
cannot query for all tasks for a release across multiple projects unless
you create a separate release field (at least that has been our
experience here at Edmunds).

-paddy

Re: Better Jira components

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Better Jira components

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
hi jukka

On 8/8/07, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to streamline the Jackrabbit components in Jira (currently
> core, xml, query, etc.) to better match the project structure in svn.
> This would help us better track changes per release artifact.
>
> See below for a proposed restructuring of the Jira components. In
> short this change would lessen the categorization metadata on
> jackrabbit-core issues but increase metadata on other components. If
> we want to keep the finer granularity, we could use an prefix
> mechanism like core:query, core:xml, etc.

i'd definitely like to keep the finer granularity in core.
ideally there should be something like subcomponents
but prefixing would be fine with me.

cheers
stefan

Re: Better Jira components

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jukka,

Makes sense (incl. Christophe's comments).