Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Langdon Stevenson <ls...@objectpositive.com> on 2004/10/21 07:53:15 UTC

Displaying multiple messages from a resouce file

I made a post on Sunday asking if there was an easy way (taglib) to
display a random number of messages from a resource file.  I took the
deafening silence to mean no, so I went ahead and investigated the options.

In the end it was easiest to extend the bean:message tag.

My new version takes two new optional attributes: header and footer.

When the tag executes, if it finds a key, then first it trys to retrieve
a message using the key.  If a message is not found then it trys to
retrieve the same message, but with an index appended to the key string
like this:

message.key0

If it gets a message then it whacks the header and footer containing the
formatting code for the paragraph onto the message, then increments the
index and loops back to try again.  This continues until there are no
more message to display.

Its a simple, but (in my opinion) useful extension to the message tag
allowing multiple paragraphs of text to be stored in the properties file
and formatted at compile time.

If anyone is interested I can post more info.

Regards,
Langdon