Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bruce Feist <bf...@flock.org> on 2003/11/05 02:32:20 UTC

[users@httpd] Connection Refused

Browsers accessing my Apache 1.3 web site
(http://www.flock.org/photos/Digital/Camera%20Collection/index.php)
often but inconsistently get a message saying "".  My operating
system is Linux in the RedHat 7.1 distribution, with the
2.4.18-24.7 kernel.

The computer is a lightly loaded server, handling email, named,
Samba, and netatalk as well as Apache. The web site is hit
regularly but not really hard, and top reports that it's
typically more than 95% idle, with almost all of the memory but
little of the swap space in use.  The network connection is the
main bottleneck; it's an IDSL setup.

Apache has MaxClients set to 250 -- I increased it today, since
it seemed the most likely parameter to affect the situation.
I've looked at the Apache FAQ, searched the Apache docs, and
looked through the archive of this mailing list without finding
an answer.

I've searched Apache's logs and found nothing about refused
connections.

Other possibly-related software that's installed and used pretty
heavily includes PHP and MySql.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks,
Bruce Feist