Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Bill Siggelkow <bi...@bellsouth.net> on 2004/09/13 22:50:37 UTC

Using a localized pattern with fmt:formatNumber

Is it possible to apply a localized pattern when using the
fmt:formatNumber tag?

In other words, I would like the following to work correctly if my
locale is some European locale like Russian:

Say,I have a Double with a value of "12345.34"

<fmt:formatNumber value="${dblValue}" pattern="# ##0,00"/>

This does not apply the pattern as a localized pattern ... it does work
correctly if the pattern is *not* localized as in:

<fmt:formatNumber value="${dblValue}" pattern="#,##0.00"/>

The reason I am asking is that the Struts bean:write tag supports
pulling the format String from a resource bundle; but the value is
treated as a localized pattern. I am trying to get equivalent behavior
with the fmt:formatNumber tag.

Let me know if I have not explained this adequately :)

- Bill Siggelkow

Re: Using a localized pattern with fmt:formatNumber

Posted by Big Chiz <bi...@gmail.com>.
i thought it would just be something like

<fmt:setLocale value="the intended local" />
<fmt:formatNumber value="${dblValue}" />

But i can be wrong... always... :)

Posted by Bill Siggelkow <bi...@bellsouth.net>.
Helios -- you're pretty much right. My reason is basically academic; let
me exlain -- The Struts bean:write tag applies the pattern as a
localized pattern if the pattern is retrieved using the formatKey
attribute. I was basically trying to find out if there was a way to
emulate this behavior in JSTL. In actuality, the Struts approach yields
a bug (27636) in that if the pattern is not defined in the resource
bundle than the pattern specified in the default bundle may very well

Posted by Helios Alonso <ha...@atg.com.uy>.