Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com> on 2009/05/12 15:10:35 UTC

Re: Jar tool?

Hi Andrew,

Did you get the paperwork completed ok? Is there anything we can give
you a hand with?

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Deakin
Unless stated otherwise above:

Re: Jar tool?

Posted by Andrew Myers <am...@gmail.com>.
I have been trying to set up eclipse so that I can work on this more easily
but I'm having a fair bit of trouble.

I've followed the instructions here:

http://harmony.apache.org/documentation/dev_eclipse_movie.html

(except I checked out
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/jdktools/trunk/modules/jdktools
)

I was getting compile errors, which I had tracked to the plugin dependencies
so I added in java.text and java.util.zip to make those go away on file I am
interested in.

It runs using the RE as the runtime JRE, but if I choose Harmony as the
Runtime JRE I am getting this kind of error.  Any ideas what I have done
wrong?

[error] java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError : java/lang/Object
Signal reported: ABORT

Registers info is absent

Command line:
C:\java_tools\harmony-jdk-782693\jre\bin\javaw.exe

Working directory:
C:\Users\andrew\workspace2\tools

Environment variables:
=::=::\
ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData
ANT_HOME=C:\java_tools\apache-ant-1.7.0
APPDATA=C:\Users\andrew\AppData\Roaming
CLASSPATH=.;C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\ext\QTJava.zip
com.adobe.versioncue.client.applocale=en_US
com.adobe.versioncue.client.appname=AdobeDrive
com.adobe.versioncue.client.appversion=1.0.0
CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
COMPUTERNAME=DELL-E6400
ComSpec=C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
DFSTRACINGON=FALSE
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
GRAILS_HOME=c:\grails
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Users\andrew
JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11
LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\andrew\AppData\Local
LOGONSERVER=\\DELL-E6400
M2_HOME=C:\java_tools\apache-maven-2.1.0
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2
OS=Windows_NT
Path=C:\java_tools\harmony-jdk-782693\jre\bin\default;C:\java_tools\harmony-jdk-782693\jre\bin\;C:\Perl\site\bin;C:\Perl\bin;C:\Program
Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11\bin;c:\ruby\bin;C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\bin;C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Program
Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\CollabNet Subversion
Server;c:\grails\bin;C:\java_tools\apache-ant-1.7.0\bin;C:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.0.51b\bin;C:\Program
Files\GNU\GnuPG\pub;C:\Program
Files\TortoiseSVN\bin;C:\jruby-1.3.0\bin;C:\java_tools\appengine-java-sdk\bin;C:\Program
Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program
Files\Google\google_appengine\;C:\java_tools\apache-maven-2.1.0\bin
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC;.RB;.RBW
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6, GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
PROCESSOR_REVISION=1706
ProgramData=C:\ProgramData
ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
PUBLIC=C:\Users\Public
QTJAVA=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\ext\QTJava.zip
RUBYOPT=-rubygems
SESSIONNAME=Console
SystemDrive=C:
SystemRoot=C:\Windows
TEMP=C:\Users\andrew\AppData\Local\Temp
TMP=C:\Users\andrew\AppData\Local\Temp
TRACE_FORMAT_SEARCH_PATH=\\NTREL202.ntdev.corp.microsoft.com
\4F18C3A5-CA09-4DBD-B6FC-219FDD4C6BE0\TraceFormat
USERDOMAIN=dell-e6400
USERNAME=andrew
USERPROFILE=C:\Users\andrew
windir=C:\Windows

Loaded modules:

c:\java_tools\harmony-jdk-782693\jre\bin\javaw.exe:
    0x00400000:0x0040e000
c:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll:
    0x773b0000:0x774d7000
c:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll:
    0x76de0000:0x76ebb000
c:\java_tools\harmony-jdk-782693\jre\bin\hyprt.dll:
    0x01da0000:0x01dbc000
c:\java_tools\harmony-jdk-782693\jre\bin\hythr.dll:
    0x01dd0000:0x01e22000
c:\java_tools\harmony-jdk-782693\jre\bin\msvcr71.dll:
    0x01f30000:0x01f86000
c:\windows\system32\ws2_32.dll:
    0x76570000:0x7659d000
c:\windows\system32\msvcrt.dll:
    0x76b20000:0x76bca000
c:\windows\system32\advapi32.dll:
    0x77540000:0x77606000
c:\windows\system32\rpcrt4.dll:
    0x76bd0000:0x76c92000
c:\windows\system32\nsi.dll:
    0x76630000:0x76636000
c:\java_tools\harmony-jdk-782693\jre\bin\default\harmonyvm.dll:
    0x00ef0000:0x01276000
c:\java_tools\harmony-jdk-782693\jre\bin\default\icuuc34.dll:
    0x01580000:0x01648000
c:\java_tools\harmony-jdk-782693\jre\bin\default\icudt34.dll:
    0x01f90000:0x02800000
c:\java_tools\harmony-jdk-782693\jre\bin\default\zlib1.dll:
    0x01b10000:0x01b23000
c:\java_tools\harmony-jdk-782693\jre\bin\default\ch.dll:
    0x01280000:0x01520000
c:\windows\system32\user32.dll:
    0x76970000:0x76a0d000
c:\windows\system32\gdi32.dll:
    0x772d0000:0x7731b000
c:\windows\system32\dbghelp.dll:
    0x72830000:0x7290c000
c:\java_tools\harmony-jdk-782693\jre\bin\msvcp71.dll:
    0x01eb0000:0x01f2c000
c:\windows\system32\psapi.dll:
    0x75a50000:0x75a57000
c:\windows\system32\userenv.dll:
    0x75a00000:0x75a1e000
c:\windows\system32\secur32.dll:
    0x759e0000:0x759f4000
c:\windows\system32\imm32.dll:
    0x76b00000:0x76b1e000
c:\windows\system32\msctf.dll:
    0x76640000:0x76708000
c:\windows\system32\lpk.dll:
    0x76710000:0x76719000
c:\windows\system32\usp10.dll:
    0x77100000:0x7717d000
c:\java_tools\harmony-jdk-782693\jre\bin\d

Re: Jar tool?

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
Turned out to be simpler than it seemed - to get the size/crc info at
the end of the data section to be read, we simply need to call
zis.closeEntry() before calling getSize(). I've committed the change at
r799569. Now "jar -tvf foo.jar" prints:

Reading jar file: foo.jar
Listing files:
     0 Thu Jul 30 15:53:08 GMT+01:00 2009 META-INF/
    62 Thu Jul 30 15:53:08 GMT+01:00 2009 META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
   717 Thu Jul 30 15:36:54 GMT+01:00 2009 HelloWorld.class

Regards,
Oliver

Re: Jar tool?

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Jar tool?

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
Andrew Myers wrote:
> Hi Oliver,
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> I suspect the reason it is returning -1 is because I am not calling the
> setSize method on the ZipEntry when I create it.  There's a few other
> setters I think I need to call that I'm not, such as
>
> setCompressedSize
> setMethod
>
> and probably some others
>
> If anyone can give me a hand with this I would very much appreciate a nudge
> in the right direction.

I tried setting the ZipEntry size with "zEntry.setSize(file.length());"
in processFile() but this doesn't make a difference - when I come to
list the files getSize() and getCompressedSize() still return -1.

I had a feeling this might be a bug in ZipOutputStream/ZipInputStream,
so I took a look in the code there for the putNextEntry() and
closeEntry() methods. It looks like when we are just storing the data
(no compression) we write the sizes first. When we compress the data we
store the sizes after the data is written, so we know the compressed
size, in a different location in the file. However, looking into
ZipInputStream.getNextEntry() we only seem to read the size in the case
where the data is stored uncompressed, and don't read it at all in the
case where the data is compressed. This leaves the sizes (and the crc)
as the default values, which are -1. I've discovered we also display the
entry size as -1 when the jar is created by the RI. So it appears the
way we write the ZipEntry is correct, but the way we read it is broken,
which explains why the RI can read the ZipEntry size correctly when the
jar is created by our tool. I'll see if I can figure out the right thing
to do in getNextEntry() to read the sizes from the correct location.

So in the default
> I'll fix the other issue with the buffering - that one I do know how to do
> :-)

Cool - thanks!

Regards,
Oliver

Re: Jar tool?

Posted by Andrew Myers <am...@gmail.com>.
Hi Oliver,

Re: Jar tool?

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Andrew,

Re: Jar tool?

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
No problem Andrew :)

Regards,
Oliver

Re: Jar tool?

Posted by Andrew Myers <am...@gmail.com>.

Re: Jar tool?

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Andrew,

Re: Jar tool?

Posted by Andrew Myers <am...@gmail.com>.
Hi Oliver,

Re: Jar tool?

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
Thanks Andrew - the patch looked good and worked well when I gave it a
quick test on some of our Harmony jar files, so I have committed the
changes at revision r774290.

I don't think anyone else is working on this tool and looks like you're
on the right track, so please carry on :)

Regards,
Oliver

Re: Jar tool?

Posted by Andrew Myers <am...@gmail.com>.