Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Zoltan Balogh <Zo...@enghouse.com.INVALID> on 2023/06/08 15:32:35 UTC

Apache Tomcat 9.x end of life

Dear Apache Team,

I just would like to ask is there any planned EOL for Tomcat 9?

We are heavily using Java 8 that is supported until 2030, so we expect Apache Tomcat 9 will be also support while Java 8 is supported.

Important note that Tomcat 9 is the last release that works fine with Java 8 along with Java EE. Therefore, it is highly important for us to have a maintained Tomcat 9 for Java 8.

Thanks for your reply!

Kind Regards,

Zoltan Balogh

RE: Apache Tomcat 9.x end of life

Posted by Zoltan Balogh <Zo...@enghouse.com.INVALID>.
Great, and thanks a lot for sharing this information.

I totally agreee with you that involving the community in this discussion is very useful to see the demands.

Kind Regards,

Zoltan Balogh

Posted by "Osipov, Michael (SMD IT IN)" <mi...@siemens.com.INVALID>.
On 2023-06-08 18:17, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 08/06/2023 16:32, Zoltan Balogh wrote:
>> Dear Apache Team,
>>
>> I just would like to ask is there any planned EOL for Tomcat 9?
>
> Best guess at the moment (and it is only a guess - no decisions have
> been made) is 3 years after 8.5.x is EOL which gives a date of 31 March
> 2027.
>
> It is worth noting that Tomcat major versions track releases of the
> Jakarta Servlet specification and there has been an effort from the
> Jakarta project to increase the release cadence. Delays are also not
> unheard of. The estimate above could easily be a year out in either
> direction.
>
>> We are heavily using Java 8 that is supported until 2030, so we expect
>> Apache Tomcat 9 will be also support while Java 8 is supported.
>
> That is extremely unlikely at this point.
>
>> Important note that Tomcat 9 is the last release that works fine with
>> Java 8 along with Java EE. Therefore, it is highly important for us to
>> have a maintained Tomcat 9 for Java 8.
>
> Once Tomcat 9.0.x reaches EOL we will provide, assuming there is demand,
> Tomcat 9.10.x which will be Tomcat 10.1.x but with the Java EE 8 API.
> The minimum Java requirement for 9.10.x will be Java 11.
>
> Once Tomcat 10.1.x reaches EOL we will provide Tomcat 9.11.x which would
> be Tomcat 11.0.x but with the Java EE 8 API.

I wonder to what extent this is necessary at all. Baseline is Java EE 8
and Java 8 and it should stay that way, I guess. If some code is back
ported, sure it needs to be refitted to Java 8 if necessary, otherwise
there would no more Java EE 8 capable container on Java 8. Moving to a
new Java version is one thing, but replacing namespaces is a completely
different one for people.

Re: Apache Tomcat 9.x end of life

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.