Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Pubudu Gunatilaka <pu...@wso2.com> on 2015/06/15 12:02:34 UTC

Listing Network Partition Providers in UI

Hi Devs,

In the current implementation, when adding a network partition it does list
down all the generic network partition providers such as mock, ec2,
openstack, kubernetes and gce. There can be situations where we may need to
add ec2-singapore, ec2-sydney,etc. as network partition providers.
Specially when we are doing a multi-region deployment. Although we add them
in the cloud-controller.xml, user is not able to select the correct
provider through the UI.

This problem can be solved by introducing a new REST API method to retrieve
all the available network partition providers. The UI can be changed so
that the users can select from the available network partition providers.

WDYT?

Thank You!!

--

*Pubudu Gunatilaka*
Software Engineer

Re: Listing Network Partition Providers in UI

Posted by Dakshika Jayathilaka <da...@wso2.com>.
+1 Pubudu, then we can easily use API to list down providers.

Regards,

*Dakshika Jayathilaka*
PMC Member & Committer of Apache Stratos
Senior Software Engineer
WSO2, Inc.
lean.enterprise.middleware
0771100911

Posted by Pubudu Gunatilaka <pu...@wso2.com>.
Hi Dakshika,

It is working fine. I also changed that in the cartridge as well. In the
cartridge definition, we have to select the network partition provider. The
change can be found in [1].

Thank you very much for your support.

[1] -
https://github.com/apache/stratos/commit/4a19739474291c47ba12604d34923573fe97dd14

Thank you!

Posted by Dakshika Jayathilaka <da...@wso2.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Pubudu Gunatilaka <pu...@wso2.com>.
Hi Chamila/Lahiru,

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>.
Hi Chamila,

IaaS providers are mentioned in cloud controller config file currently.
Actually it is a good idea to let the users manage iaas providers through
rest API. Otherwise user has to restart Stratos for adding IaaS providers.

Since this is a feature, may be we can do this for a next minor release. We
can fix the issue of not displaying iaas providers for now, only with GET
method.

Thanks.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 1:51 AM, Chamila De Alwis <ch...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi Pubudu,
>
> Will this be a read only resource? Would there be API methods to perform
> CRUD on network partition providers through the REST API? For the sake of
> completeness IMO we should implement the network partition provider
> resource to accept add, update, delete methods. But if it is too much work
> +1 for only a read-only method.
>

> Regards,
> Chamila de Alwis
> Committer and PMC Member - Apache Stratos
> Software Engineer | WSO2 | +94772207163
> Blog: code.chamiladealwis.com
>

> On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for looking into this Pubudu! May be we can include this fix in
>> 4.1.0-RC3.
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 3:40 PM, Anuruddha Liyanarachchi <
>> anuruddhal@wso2.com> wrote:
>>
>>> +1 for the API method

>>> --
>>> *Thanks and Regards,*
>>> Anuruddha Lanka Liyanarachchi
>>> Software Engineer - WSO2
>>> Mobile : +94 (0) 712762611
>>> Tel      : +94 112 145 345
>>> a <th...@wso2.com>nuruddhal@wso2.com
>>>

>> --
>> Imesh Gunaratne
>>
>> Senior Technical Lead, WSO2

Lahiru Sandaruwan

Posted by Chamila De Alwis <ch...@wso2.com>.
Hi Pubudu,

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.

Posted by Anuruddha Liyanarachchi <an...@wso2.com>.
+1 for the API method

Posted by Vishanth Balasubramaniam <vi...@wso2.com>.
+1 for an API method

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 3:35 PM, Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com> wrote:

> +1. Also. when we are listing NW partitions, it shows provider as mock,
> AFAIR.
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 3:32 PM, Pubudu Gunatilaka <pu...@wso2.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Devs,
>>
>> In the current implementation, when adding a network partition it does
>> list down all the generic network partition providers such as mock, ec2,
>> openstack, kubernetes and gce. There can be situations where we may need to
>> add ec2-singapore, ec2-sydney,etc. as network partition providers.
>> Specially when we are doing a multi-region deployment. Although we add them
>> in the cloud-controller.xml, user is not able to select the correct
>> provider through the UI.
>>
>> This problem can be solved by introducing a new REST API method to
>> retrieve all the available network partition providers. The UI can be
>> changed so that the users can select from the available network partition
>> providers.
>>
>> WDYT?
>>
>> Thank You!!
>>
>> --
>>
>> *Pubudu Gunatilaka*
>> Software Engineer
>> WSO2, Inc.: http://wso2.com
>> lean.enterprise.middleware
>> mobile:  +94 77 4078049

> Lahiru Sandaruwan
> Committer and PMC member, Apache Stratos,
> Senior Software Engineer,
> WSO2 Inc., http://wso2.com
> lean.enterprise.middleware
>
> phone: +94773325954
> email: lahirus@wso2.com blog: http://lahiruwrites.blogspot.com/

*Vishanth Balasubramaniam*
Committer & PMC Member, Apache Stratos,
Software Engineer, WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.com

mobile: *+94771737718*
about me: *http://about.me/vishanth <http://about.me/vishanth>*

Re: Listing Network Partition Providers in UI

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>.
+1. Also. when we are listing NW partitions, it shows provider as mock,
AFAIR.

Thanks.

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 3:32 PM, Pubudu Gunatilaka <pu...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi Devs,
>
> In the current implementation, when adding a network partition it does
> list down all the generic network partition providers such as mock, ec2,
> openstack, kubernetes and gce. There can be situations where we may need to
> add ec2-singapore, ec2-sydney,etc. as network partition providers.
> Specially when we are doing a multi-region deployment. Although we add them
> in the cloud-controller.xml, user is not able to select the correct
> provider through the UI.
>
> This problem can be solved by introducing a new REST API method to
> retrieve all the available network partition providers. The UI can be
> changed so that the users can select from the available network partition
> providers.
>
> WDYT?
>
> Thank You!!
>
> --