Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by we...@island.net on 2004/03/10 21:49:13 UTC

[users@httpd] strange log entries

Have been watching the logs for a while now, and am getting used to the various
things that are trying the system.  The latest one is really getting annoying.  Am
getting strings (huge ones) of just SEARCH
/\x90\x02\xb1\x02\xb1\x02\xb1\x02\xb1\x02\xb1 etc... etc... repeats ad nauseum

Should I be concerned.  Am used to rest of the crap, this is totally new

Re: [users@httpd] strange log entries

Posted by Henry <he...@ix.netcom.com>.
They are most likely attacks against IIS servers.  I get alot of those as well - things like:

_vti_bin/owssvr.dll
_vti_bin/shtml.exe
/MSOffice/cltreq.asp

You can just ignore them.  The extra characters are attempts to fool non-patched IIS servers into running local executables and compromising the system.

-Hank

Re: [users@httpd] strange log entries

Posted by we...@island.net.
I have set the DNS flag to show the names.  They appear to be legit
users, most of which come from Asia.  It is possible that they are
indeed in "non-english".  However the repeat pattern just appears to
show a long string of repeat garbage.  I have gathered there are a
lot of folks poking at the system by just using directory headings.
Most of which appear to be for Windows stuff.  Apache obviously is
on top of it as it responds with a 404 error.  There are a lot of these
searches from comcast.net and attbi.com.  I can't call them attacks
as they just request directories and the like which do not exist
withing apache and my system.

Posted by Vi <vi...@bexout.com>.