Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Dexin Wang <wa...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/23 01:42:06 UTC

conditional and multiple generate inside foreach?

Possible to do conditional and more than one generate inside a foreach?

for example, I have tuples like this (names, days_ago)

(a,0)
(b,1)
(c,9)
(d,40)

b shows up 1 day ago, so it belongs to all of the following: yesterday, last
week, last month, and last quarter. So I'd like to turn the above to:

(a,0,today)
(b,1,yesterday)
(b,1,week)
(b,1,month)
(b,1,quarter)
(c,9,month)
(c,9,quarter)
(d,40,quarter)

I imagine/dream I could do something like this

B = FOREACH A
  {
        if (days_ago <= 90) generate name,days_ago,'quarter';
        if (days_ago <= 30) generate name,days_ago,'month';
        if (days_ago <= 7)   generate name,days_ago,'week';
        if (days_ago == 1)   generate name,days_ago,'yesterday';
        if (days_ago == 0)   generate name,days_ago,'today';
  }

of course that's not valid syntax. I could write my own UDF but would be
nice there's some way to get what I want without UDF.

Thanks!
Dexin

Re: conditional and multiple generate inside foreach?

Posted by Scott Foster <sc...@gmail.com>.
Dexin,

After re-reading your original post, I better understand what you were
asking and I see that I didn't really answer your question.

Python UDFs do make writing UDFs much simpler so you might be more
likely to actually use them.

If you know Java, Python shouldn't be difficult to pick up.

Though not having done it myself, I would say that you should be able
to pass the tuple to the UDF. I see in the source for the
ScriptingEngine that a Pig tuple is converted into a Python tuple so
you should be able access any element of the Pig tuple in the Python
UDF.

I noticed this comment in the Python UDF manual though @
http://pig.apache.org/docs/r0.8.1/udf.html#Python+UDFs
# tuple in python are immutable, appending to a tuple is not possible.

The immutable comment is important, you won't be able to enrich the
tuple but you can copy the values into a new tuple and return that.

All that being said, here is one possible approach to the original
problem that produces

(a,0,(quarter,month,week,,today))
(b,1,(quarter,month,week,yesterday,))
(c,9,(quarter,month,,,))
(d,40,(quarter,,,,))

for your input data.

C = FOREACH B GENERATE names, days_ago, udfs.myudf(names, days_ago);

and the python UDF (in another file):

@outputSchema("timeperiods:tuple(quarter:chararray,month:chararray,week:chararray,yesterday:chararray,today:chararray)")
def timePeriods(names, days_ago):
    periods = []
    if days_ago <= 90:
        periods.append('quarter')
    else:
        periods.append(None)
    if days_ago <= 30:
        periods.append('month')
    else:
        periods.append(None)
    if days_ago <= 7:
        periods.append('week')
    else:
        periods.append(None)
    if days_ago == 1:
        periods.append('yesterday')
    else:
        periods.append(None)
    if days_ago == 0:
        periods.append('today')
    else:
        periods.append(None)
    return tuple(periods)

It's not exactly what you wanted but maybe it will suggest a proper solution.

scott.

Posted by Dexin Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
wow, awesome, works great! Thanks Shawn!

Posted by Xiaomeng Wan <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xiaomeng Wan <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dexin Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.