Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Anuj Saini <an...@orkash.com> on 2010/01/18 09:49:38 UTC

uima-as

Hi All,

I am looking forward to use UIMA-AS to convert my existing uima
application in parallel mode to achieve high processing power. The
documentation and help i found didnt helped me much. Can you guys please
show me a way to achieve it.

Thanks

Re: uima-as

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com>.
Anuj, please describe what you are trying to do. The basic idea for scale
out with UIMA AS is to deploy multiple services of the same kind on many
machines. All of these services use the same JMS broker and a queue name.
This allows for load sharing. A message is delivered to a service that is
ready to process. The more services you deploy, the more work can be done.
What seems confusing or lacking in UIMA AS documentation?

Regards, Jerry C

Re: uima-as

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 3:56 AM, Richard Matthias Eckart de Castilho
<ec...@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:
> I've played around with UIMA-AS recently and managed so far to locally deploy a component and run it. Now, what would interest me is if the automatic deployment /undeployment of components to remote machines is part of the scope of UIMA-AS. To me it seems not - which means that whatever service I have need to be set up and basically being kept running indefinitely.
>
> Are you people using static UIMA-AS scenarios or dynamically deployed ones?

We are using two fairly lightweight methods for remote service
deployment. One is some custom code using ssh to launch scripts on
remote nodes. The other wraps UIMA-AS application clients and services
as servlets and uses a distributed application server platform to
manage them.

The servlet wrapper can be easily made based on the UIMA_Service
class. It is a little more complicated to automatically create a WAR
file from a UIMA Pear. Hopefully at some point we can clean up what we
have and add it to SVN.

Eddie

Re: uima-as

Posted by Richard Matthias Eckart de Castilho <ec...@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
I've played around with UIMA-AS recently and managed so far to locally deploy a component and run it. Now, what would interest me is if the automatic deployment /undeployment of components to remote machines is part of the scope of UIMA-AS. To me it seems not - which means that whatever service I have need to be set up and basically being kept running indefinitely.

Are you people using static UIMA-AS scenarios or dynamically deployed ones?

Cheers,

Richard

Am 31.01.2010 um 01:10 schrieb Steven Bethard:

> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Much more UIMA AS detail is also online at
>> http://incubator.apache.org/uima/downloads/releaseDocs/2.3.0-incubating/docs-uima-as/html/uima_async_scaleout/uima_async_scaleout.html
>
> Excellent. I knew there had to be a page like this somewhere. I note
> that you also added a link to the UIMA-AS documentation from the
> doc-uimaas-what.html page. Thanks!
>
> Steve
> --
> Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis?
> Did Steve tell you that?
>        --- The Hiphopopotamus

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Software Engineer
Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab
FB 20 Computer Science Department
Technische Universität Darmstadt
Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
phone +49 (6151) 16 - 6218, fax -5455, room S2/02/E225
eckartde@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de

Re: uima-as

Posted by Steven Bethard <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: uima-as

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.
Much more UIMA AS detail is also online at
http://incubator.apache.org/uima/downloads/releaseDocs/2.3.0-incubating/docs-uima-as/html/uima_async_scaleout/uima_async_scaleout.html

Re: uima-as

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/uima/uima-as/trunk/uima-as-distr/src/main/readme/README?view=markup

Re: uima-as

Posted by Steven Bethard <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: uima-as

Posted by Chris Roeder <ch...@ucdenver.edu>.
The README included in the distribution is pretty detailed.
I've run a simple pipeline based on it, and need to spend more time with it.
-Chris

Re: uima-as

Posted by Steven Bethard <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: uima-as

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Anuj Saini wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am looking forward to use UIMA-AS to convert my existing uima
> application in parallel mode to achieve high processing power. The
> documentation and help i found didnt helped me much.

Did you see the "quick start" documentation for UIMA-AS? It's on the
bottom of the documentation page, or here:
http://incubator.apache.org/uima/doc-uimaas-what.html

We would appreciate helpful suggestions (or better yet, patches to the
documentation) to make the documentation better.

-Marshall