Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Michael McGonagle <mi...@wpco.com> on 2004/10/21 01:39:13 UTC

Installing on Mac OS 10.3.5

Hello,

I am new to James, and want to try and install it for use in my
company. Well, when I downloaded the binary version of the program, and
try to run the "run.sh", no matter what I do ('chmod +x' to make it
executable, or even use 'sudo') I get a "Permission denied" error. Is
the binary package NOT for Mac OS X? Should I download the source
version and compile myself?

Thanks.

Mike

Re: Installing on Mac OS 10.3.5

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Michael McGonagle wrote:
> Thanks for the word about the other shell script. I got the things set
> up, and got the software to at least start running, but it would appear
> to die with the message of:
>
> org.apache.excalibur.containerkit.lifecycle.LifecycleException:
> Component named "pop3server" failed to pass through the Initialization
> stage. (Reason: java.net.BindException: Permission denied).

This means James cannot bind its pop3 server because the account you're
using is not allowed to.  Typically on Unix platforms, you have to be
root to bind to pop3 (port 110) and smtp (port 25).

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501

Re: Installing on Mac OS 10.3.5

Posted by Michael McGonagle <mi...@wpco.com>.
Hes,

Thanks for the word about the other shell script. I got the things set
up, and got the software to at least start running, but it would appear
to die with the message of:

org.apache.excalibur.containerkit.lifecycle.LifecycleException:
Component named "pop3server" failed to pass through the Initialization
stage. (Reason: java.net.BindException: Permission denied).
         at
org.apache.excalibur.containerkit.lifecycle.LifecycleHelper.fail(Lifecyc
leHelper.java:289)
         at
org.apache.excalibur.containerkit.lifecycle.LifecycleHelper.startup(Life
cycleHelper.java:159)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.application.DefaultApplication.star
tup(DefaultApplication.java:480)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.application.DefaultApplication.doRu
nPhase(DefaultApplication.java:428)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.application.DefaultApplication.runP
hase(DefaultApplication.java:364)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.application.DefaultApplication.star
t(DefaultApplication.java:138)
         at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.start(ContainerUtil.
java:251)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.kernel.DefaultKernel.startup(Defaul
tKernel.java:178)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.kernel.DefaultKernel.addApplication
(DefaultKernel.java:254)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.deployer.DefaultDeployer.deploy(Def
aultDeployer.java:353)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.deployFile
(DefaultEmbeddor.java:498)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.deployFile
(DefaultEmbeddor.java:491)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.deployFile
s(DefaultEmbeddor.java:476)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.deployDefa
ultApplications(DefaultEmbeddor.java:466)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.execute(De
faultEmbeddor.java:224)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.frontends.CLIMain.run(CLIMain.java:158)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.frontends.CLIMain.execute(CLIMain.java:144)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.frontends.CLIMain.main(CLIMain.java:102)
         at
a:39)
         at
Impl.java:25)
         at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.launcher.Main.startup(Main.java:94)
         at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:46)
Caused by: java.net.BindException: Permission denied
         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:331)
         at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:318)
         at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:185)
         at
org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.blocks.sockets.DefaultServerSocketFactory.
createServerSocket(DefaultServerSocketFactory.java:65)
         at
org.apache.james.core.AbstractJamesService.initialize(AbstractJamesServi
ce.java:327)
         at
org.apache.james.pop3server.POP3Server.initialize(POP3Server.java:127)
         at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(Container
Util.java:235)
         at
org.apache.excalibur.containerkit.lifecycle.LifecycleHelper.startup(Life
cycleHelper.java:144)
         ... 22 more
There was an uncaught exception:
-----------------------

When I run this using 'sudo ./run.sh' it appears to start up, and I get
this:

Using PHOENIX_HOME:   /Users/mogo/Desktop/james-2.2.0
Using PHOENIX_TMPDIR: /Users/mogo/Desktop/james-2.2.0/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:      /Library/Java/Home
Running Phoenix:

Phoenix 4.0.1

James 2.2.0
Remote Manager Service started plain:4555
POP3 Service started plain:110
SMTP Service started plain:25
NNTP Service started plain:119
Fetch POP Disabled