Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Gerald Fernando <ge...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/18 07:26:38 UTC

Need Wicket Book

Hello Friends,

Am Gerald Fernando as well as new to Wicket.
I was assigned to do a  project using Wicket.
So first i Need to study well Wicket(from the very basic steps)
What can be Achieved and What cant be Achieved.
please tell me the Books for Wicket(Free DownLoad).
so that i can go ahead.
from the basic i want to study throughly
please Help me

--
Thanks&regards,
Gerald A

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro <re...@gmail.com>.
I'm from Cuba. I do not live there now but still have friends and family
living there...

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by "ivilis <vytautas.civilis@gmail.com>" <Vytautas>.

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Nicolas Melendez <nm...@getsense.com.ar>.
Live Examples + Book + Blog + Source = wicket learning.

the book in only one variable there...

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Marcel Bonnet <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by "adam.gibbons" <ad...@gmail.com>.
Wicket in Action is very good, it covers all the topics you'd want and in a
reasonable amount of detail.
I got mine as a pdf, much more handy for searching for things than a paper
based one, plus better for the environment!

There really needs to be a whole book on models, well not just models, but
how to write decent production scale models that hook into things like
Spring and Hibernate.
I'll have to get the other book as I thought Wicket in Action was the only
one!

On 11 November 2010 12:24, Arjun Dhar [via Apache Wicket] <
ml-node+3037727-107613574-201041@n4.nabble.com<ml...@n4.nabble.com>

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Is "Arjun Dhar" some sort of alias for Martijn or Eelco? ;)

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Arjun Dhar <dh...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,
 I bought both the books. I've been going chapter by chapter on both and
then skipped the initial part because I'm familiar.

IMO Wicket in Action is a better book. What i really like is the way it
defines every concept. However I do have a suggestion for the next book; to
cater to medium to advanced users.

There is very little per section. Like more real life cases of the use of
fragments. Or references to existing source code for more complex scenarios
would also be sufficient to lead the reader to figure it themselves but
point them in the right direction. I guess thats what the user forum is for,
but its an expensive book and I'd prefer the book to tell me that :))

thanks everyone.

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by dh...@yahoo.com.
Yes I did see one mention it; see my post. The other book . On my phone so can't remember the name.

They don't have a paypal option and I can't remember the name so that's bad marketing for them. But looks like a good book (I read the sample chapters)
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: "Frank Silbermann" <fr...@fedex.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 09:40:42
To: <us...@wicket.apache.org>

When I coded my application originally based on Wicket 1.2, I after looking at the DataTable example, I had to peruse the DataTable (and, for 1.2, DefaultDataTable) code to figure out what I needed to do for my task.

Even if I had had_Wicket_in_Action_ at my disposal back then, I think I still would have had to look at the DataTable implementation.

Perhaps with open source it is expected that users will have to look at the implementation code now and then, but I think for many people it is a psychological hurdle.  /Frank

Posted by Frank Silbermann <fr...@fedex.com>.

<fr...@fedex.com> wrote:
> Does any Wicket book describe the use of Wicket Extensions, such as
> DataTable?  I didn't see anything on that subject in _Wicket_in_Action_.

In order to keep the book manageable (in thickness) and to be able to
publish it on some derailed schedule, datatable and extensions friends
were not included. It would probably have costed another 20 pages or
so to properly discuss datatable, and another 20 to quickly summarize
each component in extensions.

We believe that the explanations offered in Wicket in Action should
provide anyone to fully grasp Wicket concepts and that should suffice
to have a really quick understanding of anything wicket extensions
throws at you (unless you look at modal window, or the tree components
;-)

Martijn

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

RE: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Frank Silbermann <fr...@fedex.com>.

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Mark Doyle <ma...@googlemail.com>.
You don't get royalties? :o

It's a great book by the way, in fact I think it's the perfect book to start
your Wicket career with.

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Nico Guba <ng...@mac.com>.

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Need Wicket Book

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro <re...@gmail.com>.

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Marcel Bonnet <ma...@gmail.com>.
2009/8/18 Michael Mosmann <mi...@mosmann.de>

> Am Dienstag, den 18.08.2009, 15:32 -0300 schrieb Marcel Bonnet:
> > Wicket in Action is really good, but it doesn't go too depper.
>
> If you have some questions, just ask.
>
> I would say: "visit my blog", but's only in german...
> (http://www.wicket-praxis.de/blog/) I also wrote a book about wicket
> (http://www.hanser.de/buch.asp?isbn=3-446-41909-8&area=Computer (but
> only in german language))
>
> .. so back to my first point: If you have some questions about wicket,
> which go deeper, then feel free to ask.

I don't know germany yet, but thanks anyway!

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Michael Mosmann <mi...@mosmann.de>.

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Marcel Bonnet <ma...@gmail.com>.
Wicket in Action is really good, but it doesn't go too depper. I read a lot
and still having problems, so I recommend some of the links suggested and:
reading this mail-list (of course), the wiki http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/
and http://wicketstuff.org/ .
And I agree with Ernesto. IMO it's very expensive for us, in other
countries, to buy a book considering we pay in dollars (at least 2 times
more than a national book). For other things we can pay up to 60% of taxes,
over the price, for the government - not for books for while, but it still
expensive for a lot of stuff and a lot of people. That's why I recommended
the links.

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro <re...@gmail.com>.

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Luther Baker <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro <re...@gmail.com>.
Well, maybe you can hire some friends of mine living over there... Right now
I do live and work in Spain where the minimal wage is a bit higher;-)
Best,

Ernesto

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro <re...@gmail.com>.

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Arie Fishler <ar...@gmail.com>.
Wicket in action! A must have!

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Gerald Fernando <ge...@gmail.com>.
Thank You Friends for your ideas

Thanks&Regards,
Gerald Anto Fernando
On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Greven, Jens <jg...@pma.de> wrote:

> I liked the book "Enjoy Web Development with Wicket" by Kent Ka Iok Tong.
> You can find it at http://www.agileskills2.org, the download edition is
> also quite affordable at 19.95 US-$.
>
> This book and "Wicket in Action" kind of complement one another quite well,
> imho. The edition I bought of "Pro Wicket" was based on wicket 1.2 (I have
> no clue if there is a newer edition) which could mean some obstacles to deal
> with if you're new to the subject.
>

> Hope this helps,
> Jens

Thanks&regards,
Gerald A

RE: Need Wicket Book

------------------

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by "Haulyn R. Jason" <sa...@gmail.com>.

------------------

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Major Péter <ma...@sch.bme.hu>.

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
I'll second that.  Like so many things, documentation is something
that "you get what you pay for".

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://www.wickettraining.com