Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/01 05:55:52 UTC

Re: Some simple questions about JSF frameworks ....?

Seam:
Extended entity management persistence (EJB3 or hibernate)
Conversation context (multiple windows supported with server side
state. Basically a long running transaction)
Annotation demarcation of maneged beans
Annotate injection and outjection of context variables
Interception of action method (helpful for things like making sure the
user has authenticated)
Validation via JSF or by backing bean w/ the hibernate validator
(write the validation on your entity/data beans instead of in the UI)

Shale I haven't used, from the research I have done, it is a subset of
Seam's functionality. What seems nice is the smaller footprint and
lesser learning curve than Seam. I debated it but wanted the
functionality of Seam.

Clay, looked briefly at it, but the majority of people side with
facelets. Clay is bound to Shale, so you can't use Clay by itself.

Facelets:
Practically an absolute must. You may as well use JSPs and servlets if
you don't have facelets IMO. JSF is practically useless without it.
Multi-layered Templating
Custom tag definitions
JSTL support
High degree of extensibility
Easier to write components (no tags or TLD files needed)
EL-Anywhere support (JSF 1.2)

My recommendation:
MyFaces+JBoss-Seam+Facelets for your heavy functionality site
MyFaces+Shale+Facelets for your small-medium site without EJB3 Entity
managers or hibernate persistence.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 2/28/06, Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Seam:
> Extended entity management persistence (EJB3 or hibernate)
> Conversation context (multiple windows supported with server side
> state. Basically a long running transaction)
> Annotation demarcation of maneged beans
> Annotate injection and outjection of context variables
> Interception of action method (helpful for things like making sure the
> user has authenticated)
> Validation via JSF or by backing bean w/ the hibernate validator
> (write the validation on your entity/data beans instead of in the UI)
>
> Shale I haven't used, from the research I have done, it is a subset of
> Seam's functionality. What seems nice is the smaller footprint and
> lesser learning curve than Seam. I debated it but wanted the
> functionality of Seam.
>
> Clay, looked briefly at it, but the majority of people side with
> facelets. Clay is bound to Shale, so you can't use Clay by itself.

This statement is a bit too simplistic so that it actually distorts reality
a bit :-).  The dependence of Clay on the rest of Shale is that you need to
include shale-core.jar in your webapp.  You do not have to care about
anything else Shale provides, if you do not care about it -- just pay
attention to the specific configuration details related to Clay.

Facelets:
> Practically an absolute must. You may as well use JSPs and servlets if
> you don't have facelets IMO. JSF is practically useless without it.
> Multi-layered Templating
> Custom tag definitions
> JSTL support
> High degree of extensibility
> Easier to write components (no tags or TLD files needed)
> EL-Anywhere support (JSF 1.2)

Clay and Facelets overlap in functionality, but each have their own
strengths.  And, to the consternation of myopic readers who believe that
anyone claiming "A is good" automatically assumes "B is bad" :-), I will
hereby go on record as saying that both of these technologies are great!
They both deserve your attention to see if one or the other matches your
needs more closely.

Of course, I'll say the same thing if you find that standard JSF support for
JSP works out for you :-).  There is more than one right answer in this
space.

Craig