Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/04 21:22:53 UTC

[FlexJS] Presenting at the HTML5 Dev Conference

Exciting news!  My proposal to speak about "FlexJS - An Introduction" has
been approved by the HTML5DevConf.  I will have the opportunity to talk
about FlexJS from the basics and hopefully show some good demos.

I will start working on my slides (based on Alex's previous presentations)
and send them out for review soon.  If folks have an idea of the things I
should cover, please let me know, I will try to squeeze it in.

The conference is at: Moscone Center, San Francisco on October 20 & 21,
2014.  Here are more details: http://html5devconf.com/

Thanks,
Om

Re: [FlexJS] Presenting at the HTML5 Dev Conference

Posted by Oleg Konovalov <ol...@gmail.com>.
If you included GWT, include Vaadin too (it's better but used more in
Europe than in US).
I used it a few yrs ago and liked it a lot.

But maybe this time my vote would be for Dart  (AFTER FlexJS of course).

--
Thank you,
Oleg.

Re: [FlexJS] Presenting at the HTML5 Dev Conference

Posted by Oleg Konovalov <ol...@gmail.com>.

--
Thank you,
Oleg.

Re: [FlexJS] Presenting at the HTML5 Dev Conference

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Good questions.  My thoughts:

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Good questions.  My thoughts:

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Some additional thoughts: (don’t know if you can fit this in — and I don’t have the answers to all these points)

FlexJS vs. Dart vs. Haxe. It seems that all three of these have points for strong typing.

Is there an advantage of ActionScript over those? (not sure)
Is there an advantage of MXML? (probably yes)

Maybe some thoughts on the MXML approach vs. HTML/CSS approach? advantages and challenges, etc.

What about TypeScript? Do we have advantages over that? What?

(and good luck!)
Harbs

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 9/11/14 11:56 AM, "OmPrakash Muppirala" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>-The slides are heavily oriented towards existing Flex users.  I wouldn't
>> expect there to be that many at the conference,
>

>I am guessing that there would be a substantial number of folks who have
>worked or currently working on Flex applications.
OK, I could certainly be wrong about the demographics.

>> so I hope you can
>> emphasize how we think the MXML + AS should provide better developer
>> productivity for new apps.
>>

>How about adding these points:
>1.  Advantages of using ActionScript3 to build your applications
>
>   - Full fledged object oriented inheritance model (not just prototype
>   based)
>   - Statically type code, dynamic optional.  So best of both worlds.
>   - Packages, classes, interfaces
>   - Use standard design patterns easily
>   - Easy to maintain
>   - Friendly for projects with medium to large teams
>
>2.  Use MXML to efficiently build your interface
>
>   - Like HTML, MXML is XML markup language
>   - Declaratively lay out your interface (components, skins, layout,
>   effects, etc.)
>   - Declaratively define nonvisual aspects of the application (data
>   binding, webservices, etc.)
>   - Unlike HTML, you can extend MXML with custom components that you
>   reference as MXML tags
>
>Anything else you would like to add?
Looks great!

>BTW, where can I get the latest copy of your presentation slides?
I think this is it:
http://people.apache.org/~aharui/360Flex/FlexJS%20360%7cFlex%202014.pptx

-Alex

Re: [FlexJS] Presenting at the HTML5 Dev Conference

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Alex!

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.