Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Shiti Saxena <ss...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/06 12:48:14 UTC

Kafka Connect Embedded API

Hi,

I wanted to use Kafka Connect in an application and wanted to if the
Embedded API discussed in KIP-26
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=58851767>
available
in 0.9.0.0 or is there an alternative?

Thanks,
Shiti

Re: Kafka Connect Embedded API

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.
Shiti,

The embedded API hasn't been implemented yet -- we just squeezed some of
the distributed implementation into the 0.9.0.0 release and a few things
like the embedded API didn't quite make it in.

There's not really an alternative right now. However, depending on the
functionality you need, you could potentially tie together the existing
components without the promise that the API will be stable - take a look at
the main methods for ConnectStandalone and ConnectDistributed to see how to
instantiate and connect all the pieces. Once you do that, you can directly
submit a connector configuration and start/stop the worker yourself.

However, important pieces of the API will still be missing; for example,
there's not yet a way to get out the set of topics being written to/read
from for a given connector or task.

-Ewen

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 3:48 AM, Shiti Saxena <ss...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to use Kafka Connect in an application and wanted to if the
> Embedded API discussed in KIP-26
> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=58851767
> >
> available
> in 0.9.0.0 or is there an alternative?