Posted to wiki-changes@httpd.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2007/07/13 05:46:00 UTC

[Httpd Wiki] Update of "SSLSessionCache" by mcadoo

Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by mcadoo:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/SSLSessionCache

New page:
#format wiki
#language en
== SSlSesionCache ==
I found the following error in the error.log file:

    [warn] Init: Session Cache is not configured [hint: SSLSessionCache]

What follows is my attempt at correcting the problem:

I am running Apache/2.2.3 (Ubuntu)  mod_ssl/2.2.3

I use the Ubuntu apache2 directory setup:     http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/DistrosDefaultLayout

The following setting was in /etc/apache2/mods-available/ssl.conf:

    SSLSessionCache        shmcb:/var/run/apache2/ssl_scache(512000)

When I moved this to the /etc/apache2/apache2.conf near the bottom before the  statement "Include /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/" the error message went away.

For confirmation I used http://localhost/server-status to check the cache status

It provided output similar to the following:

    SSL/TLS Session Cache Status: [[BR]]
    cache type: SHMCB, shared memory: 512000 bytes, current sessions: 1[[BR]]
    sub-caches: 32, indexes per sub-cache: 133[[BR]]
    time left on oldest entries' SSL sessions: avg: 297 seconds, (range: 297...297)[[BR]]
    index usage: 0%, cache usage: 0%[[BR]]
    total sessions stored since starting: 1[[BR]]
    total sessions expired since starting: 0[[BR]]
    total (pre-expiry) sessions scrolled out of the cache: 0[[BR]]
    total retrieves since starting: 1 hit, 1 miss[[BR]]
    total removes since starting: 0 hit, 0 miss[[BR]]

When the SSLSessionCache statement was in the ssl.conf file I did not get any session cache statistics on the server-status page.

To enable server-status I used the following construct in the apache2.conf
=== Example ===
{{{
<IfModule mod_status.c>
    #
    # Allow server status reports generated by mod_status,
    # with the URL of http://servername/server-status
    # Change the ".example.com" to match your domain to enable.
    #
    ExtendedStatus On
    <Location /server-status>
        SetHandler server-status