Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> on 2012/10/01 02:04:41 UTC

Aether 0.9.0.M1

I'm working on the Aether Ant Tasks and in order to make them work with the new Eclipse release of Aether I had to start refactoring the the core -- maven-aether-provider specifically -- in order to make them work. If no one objects to using a milestone from Eclipse then I will make the changes in the core to use the Eclipse Aether, otherwise I can keep my branch and rebase when an official release comes out and merge it then.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

A party which is not afraid of letting culture,
business, and welfare go to ruin completely can
be omnipotent for a while.

  -- Jakob Burckhardt

Re: Aether 0.9.0.M1

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Oct 6, 2012, at 4:23 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:

> Aether 0.9.0.M1 is now in central [1]
> and Benjamin did the upgrade on his own Maven 3 branch [2]
>
> Question: do we need a formal vote for the upgrade of this dependency?

No.

> Any objection to do the upgrade without vote, given it's just a new home for a
> compoennt we already use?

No.

Ralph

Re: Aether 0.9.0.M1

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
no objections from me.

2012/10/6 Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>:
> The dependency we currently have is EPL and the "replacement" is EPL so I
> don't see the need to vote.  Only if the license was changing or if we were
> moving from eclipse to a non-foundation hosted artifact would I see the
> need for a vote.
>
> In any case I think we can hold back the decision until the release vote
> unless people see the risk of rollback as too high
>
> Our original intent in voting to accept the EPL licensed aether from
> sonatype was that the eclipse one was taking too long, so I viewed the vote
> as being both to take the eclipse one AND pragmatically take the sonatype
> one until eclipse had a release.
>
> If others viewed it differently, they really should shout out now, or -1
> the commit
>
> On Saturday, 6 October 2012, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
>
>> Aether 0.9.0.M1 is now in central [1]
>> and Benjamin did the upgrade on his own Maven 3 branch [2]
>>
>> Question: do we need a formal vote for the upgrade of this dependency?
>> Any objection to do the upgrade without vote, given it's just a new home
>> for a
>> compoennt we already use?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Hervé
>>
>> [1] http://central.maven.org/maven2/org/eclipse/aether/
>>
>> [2] https://github.com/bentmann/maven-3
>>
>> Le dimanche 30 septembre 2012 17:04:41 Jason van Zyl a écrit :
>> > I'm working on the Aether Ant Tasks and in order to make them work with
>> the
>> > new Eclipse release of Aether I had to start refactoring the the core --
>> > maven-aether-provider specifically -- in order to make them work. If no
>> one
>> > objects to using a milestone from Eclipse then I will make the changes in
>> > the core to use the Eclipse Aether, otherwise I can keep my branch and
>> > rebase when an official release comes out and merge it then.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Jason

>> > Jason van Zyl
>> > Founder & CTO, Sonatype
>> > Founder,  Apache Maven
>> > http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>> > ---------------------------------------------------------
>> >
>> > A party which is not afraid of letting culture,
>> > business, and welfare go to ruin completely can
>> > be omnipotent for a while.
>> >
>> >   -- Jakob Burckhardt

Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Re: Aether 0.9.0.M1

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM, Stephen Connolly
<st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Our original intent in voting to accept the EPL licensed aether from
> sonatype was that the eclipse one was taking too long, so I viewed the vote
> as being both to take the eclipse one AND pragmatically take the sonatype
> one until eclipse had a release.
>
> If others viewed it differently, they really should shout out now, or -1
> the commit

That was my understanding as well.

Re: Aether 0.9.0.M1

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: Aether 0.9.0.M1

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Re: Aether 0.9.0.M1

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
Doesn't bother me if you use Aether directly.

Even in a component that is ostensibly shared it is but one set of use cases. Everyone was arguing to shield the base artifact resolution service behind one facade, not the single set solution that is represented in the tree component. Extending the Maven Artifact API to complete and using that in the tree component versus using Aether directly. I think using Aether directly in the tree component is fine too.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven