Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Bayless Kirtley <bk...@cox.net> on 2020/05/11 20:26:58 UTC

Netbeans long pauses

After installing Netbeans 11.1 on Linux Mint 19.3, it has a nasty habit
of suddenly locking up. It seems to be the whole computer. This happens
pretty regularly when trying to do a simple refactor, renaming a
variable. It also happens but less often when just editing or typing
code. These pauses always seem to last between 30 and 60 seconds. This
really makes it virtually unusable. On the refactor, it always happens
even before accepting the new name so it has not actually started
renaming yet. These are small Java desktop projects of a dozen or so
classes and usually only one or two projects open at a time so no more
than 2 or 3000 lines. I assume I have something wrong but no idea where
to start looking. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bayless

Re: Netbeans long pauses

Posted by Bayless Kirtley <bk...@cox.net>.
Glad to hear another Mint user with no problems John.

Typically I only have 1 or 2 projects open at a time. Yesterday it was
only 1 and a small project of about a dozen classes, none of which had
more than a few hundred lines. The whole thing finishes clean and build
in 1 - 2 seconds. I am retired so don't have to keep a bunch of balls
bouncing. When working on Netbeans I rarely have other things going on.

It looks like 11.1 is a real memory hog compared to 8.1 that I have been
using.  But I have 8 GB memory on a quad core computer so I don't think
that is the problem.

Bayless

Re: Netbeans long pauses

Posted by John Lavelle <jo...@jql.co.uk>.

Re: Netbeans long pauses

Posted by Emma Atkinson <em...@gmail.com>.
One thought crossed my mind. If you haven't done so already, it might be
worthwhile examining the command that starts Netbeans IDE. I used to have
wierd trouble I didn't understand. After some experimenting, I thought it
was due to the build of the jdk in the distro I was using. It's now a habit
to override the default.

Basically, I set up the application launch menu item to use the
-jdk-home=xxxxxx option when launching to pick my preferred jdk and make
certain I'm not using the distro's default jdk build. It's one fewer
unknowns.  I've not had wierd trouble for many years.  I use KDE. I'm not
sure how to modify application launch commands under Gnome.

Emma

Re: Netbeans long pauses

Posted by Bayless Kirtley <bk...@cox.net>.
I'll try 11.3 then.