Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org> on 2004/11/29 20:54:39 UTC

Re: help with official binary mirrored releases

(this thread has been moved - with eric's permission - onto general,
which seems a more suitable forum. people might want to read the posts
at the bottom before starting on my comments)

On 29 Nov 2004, at 11:01, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> Robert,

Eric

> I agree that moving this to general is appropriate.

good :)

<snip>

> Unfortunately I haven't been available to assist with a couple of the
> releases that Doug did, which he just put at cvs.apache.org and
> pointed the Lucene website to that URL.  *sigh*

<sigh>

i know that documentation is necessary (the reason i wrote up the
commons stuff so that it matched the new mirrors was that i couldn't
remember all the stages accurately without it) and i'll start a thread
on infrastructure to see if they accept some material (were i to
produce it) but i'm not sure that it can really replace someone who can
talk you through it.

when i first started cutting releases, i had the advantage that some of
the senior jakarta figures were around to talk me through the process
and make sure the important stuff was in order. i've done my best to
get other people started in the same fashion.

i know that jakarta has traditionally allowed quite a measure of
autonomy in release practices but i wonder now whether the time has
come to insist on a little more consistency in the important things.
AIUI software releases are very important legally and so it's vital we
get them right. maybe we should be thinking about asking for mentors
(assigned by the pmc through the chair) for all releases. i'd be glad
to have a second pair of eyes checking for mistakes. (i'd much rather
have an oversight spotted by a friend than by a user.)

- robert

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> when i first started cutting releases, i had the advantage that some of the
> senior jakarta figures were around to talk me through the process and make
> sure the important stuff was in order. i've done my best to get other people
> started in the same fashion.
>
> i know that jakarta has traditionally allowed quite a measure of autonomy in
> release practices but i wonder now whether the time has come to insist on a
> little more consistency in the important things. AIUI software releases are

The thoughts (many from you) on restructuring the download page would seem
to lead nicely to a series of release goals (must have MD5, be mirrored,
whatever). Then there are a few other release goals that jump up (email an
announcement list, news, put jar in the asf maven repository rsync).

If we define a series of release goals, we can get more consistency
without having to get too heavily into how sub-project's processes work.

> very important legally and so it's vital we get them right. maybe we should
> be thinking about asking for mentors (assigned by the pmc through the chair)
> for all releases. i'd be glad to have a second pair of eyes checking for
> mistakes. (i'd much rather have an oversight spotted by a friend than by a
> user.)

Much easier to just state that each release will have a release owner
and a release builder. The owner does the vote, the builder prepares the
files, and the owner acts as the second pair of eyes aka the customer. Two
people to do the previous job of 1, and halve screwups. That is, if we
decide to try to structure things a bit more.

Some thoughts anyway :)

Hen