Posted to dev@slider.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> on 2015/03/03 03:34:46 UTC

Fw: Re: Looking to a Hadoop 3 release

FYI

On 2 March 2015 at 18:31:00, Arun Murthy (acm@hortonworks.com<ma...@hortonworks.com>) wrote:

Andrew,

Thanks for bringing up this discussion.

I'm a little puzzled for I feel like we are rehashing the same discussion from last year - where we agreed on a different course of action w.r.t switch to JDK7.

IAC, breaking compatibility for hadoop-3 is a pretty big cost - particularly for users such as Yahoo/Twitter/eBay who have several clusters between which compatibility is paramount.

Now, breaking compatibility is perfectly fine over time where there is sufficient benefit e.g. HDFS HA or YARN in hadoop-2 (v/s hadoop-1).

However, I'm struggling to quantify the benefit of hadoop-3 for users for the cost of the breakage.

Given that we already agreed to put in JDK7 in 2.7, and that the classpath is a fairly minor irritant given some existing solutions (e.g. a new default classloader), how do you quantify the benefit for users?

We could just do JDK8 in hadoop-2.10 or some such, you are definitely welcome to run the RM role for that release.

Furthermore, I'm really concerned that this will be used as an opportunity to further break compat in more egregious ways.

Also, are you foreseeing more compat breaks? OTOH, if we all agree that we should absolutely prevent compat breakages such as the client-server wire protocol, I feel the point of a major release is kinda lost.

Overall, my biggest concern is the compatibility story vis-a-vis the benefit.

Thoughts?

thanks,
Arun