Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by vishnupriyaa <vp...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/17 15:06:18 UTC

Storing extremely large size file

I want to save a file of size 12MB but an exception occuring like this
KeyValue size too large.
I have set the value of hbase.client.keyvalue.maxsize in hbase-site.xml and
hbase-default.xml to 3GB
but the default value 10MB is taking for hbase.client.keyvalue.maxsize.How
could I change the value of hbase.client.keyvalue.maxsize or how to store
the file of extremely large size.

Re: Storing extremely large size file

Posted by Andrey Stepachev <oc...@gmail.com>.
I think, that HBase should have something like
http://www.mongodb.org/display/DOCS/GridFS+Specification.

--
Andrey.

Re: Storing extremely large size file

Posted by kim young ill <kh...@googlemail.com>.
+1 documentation please

Posted by anil gupta <an...@gmail.com>.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Anil Gupta

Re: Storing extremely large size file

Posted by Michel Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Look, I don't want to be *that* guy, but just my $0.02 cents ...

I don't disagree that this topic doesn't come up all the time.
But you have a couple of issues. What do you consider to be large?
1kb? 10? 100? >1MB?
(and then there's that lie that size doesn't matter... But let's not go there... ;-)

Then there is the issue of region size, number of regions per RS...
(this question alone yields different answers from different people, meaning there isn't a single right answer or even a meaningful one.)

Then how about the heap size for the RS?
How about how much memory should have for your DNs...

You then Run in to some one saying that they read that they could build a DN with X hardware and yet this chapter now says you need to have Y and what's up with that...

Then you have the issue of alternatives like storing the blob in a sequence file while you store the index in HBase...

Just saying... :-)

Mike Segel

Posted by Doug Meil <do...@explorysmedical.com>.
This would be a good entry for the new "Use Cases" chapter in the Schema
Design section.

Posted by lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
-1. It's a boring topic.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
I've stored up to 100MB in cells, but only at the end of a long tail.This is a typical "webtable" type application.You can get away with it, but only if they are outliers, and you need to be careful with scan load with those things in the store like icebergs.

For many (most?) use cases, I'd say having individual values larger than a few megabytes mean you are doing something wrong.

Best regards,

    - Andy

Posted by Weishung Chung <we...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all. Practice makes perfect :)

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Wei Shung Chung <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Revell <da...@urbanairship.com>.
+1 Jack :)

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Dave Revell <da...@urbanairship.com>.
I think this is a popular topic that might deserve a section in The Book.

By "this topic" I mean storing big binary chunks.

-Dave

Posted by kim young ill <kh...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jack Levin <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.
This should be about right:

FileSystem fs = FileSystem.get(conf);
OutputStream os = fs.create(new Path("/images/img.jpg"));
os.write()...
os.close();

Or even:

FileSystem fs = FileSystem.get(conf);
fs.copyFromLocalFile(new Path("/filer/img.jpg"), new Path("/images/img.jpg"));

http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r1.0.2/api/org/apache/hadoop/fs/FileSystem.html

Posted by vishnupriyaa <vp...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brock,

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.