Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/04 07:30:49 UTC

Felix and JDK11 and API related news

Hi.
I wanted to do something refreshing and useful during the Christmas break and
as such I took a look at the here in discussed Felix & JDK11 problem. By
upgrading to version 6.0.1 I think the problem is solved:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pull/1063

the tests of platform/core.netigso module (that use Felix as an OSGi
container) pass OK with my local JDK11 installation.

When at it I also decided to setup a Jenkins builder to build and test the
NetBeans Platform on JDK11. Here it is together with PR that contains majority
of the related changes:

https://builds.apache.org/job/incubator-netbeans-linux-jdk11/
https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pull/1068

as you can see there is still a lot of failing tests. Your help investigating
what is wrong and fixing them is more than welcomed! We want Apache NetBeans
to build and run also on JDK11 at the end, right?

I was a bit sad to see that the NetBeans Linux Jenkins job
https://builds.apache.org/job/incubator-netbeans-linux/
is no longer blue. Then I realized that it is because of J2EE licenses. Hence
I moved the licenses tests away:
https://builds.apache.org/job/incubator-netbeans-license/lastCompletedBuild/
testReport/
please track the licenses cleanup progress there. As a result the NetBeans
Linux Jenkins job is blue again!

Last, but not least, I integrated snapshots of Apache NetBeans 10.0 APIs into
the master branch. That should help us to keep backward compatibility:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pull/1064#discussion_r244659441

Accidentally removing an API element should break module build (F11 in the
IDE). Please contact me (by CCing) directly if you find some problems with
this approach.

Happy New Year. NetBeans never dies!
-jt