Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it> on 2002/08/06 11:59:55 UTC

Cocoon in the corporate world [WAS: RE: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it]

Ulrich,

I appreciate your well-thought comments, but I have a couple counter-points of my own:

1) If Sun came out with an XML equivalent to JSP, this wouldn't necessary mean the demise of Cocoon: just think of Apache HTTP
server, it survived iPlanet and IIS nicely

2) I sold three Cocoon projects so far, and the IT people was rather interested in it (whether they will build on this interest
remains to be seen though).

However, I must reckon that Cocoon is "unstable", and this worries me quite a bit, especially with Cocoon books coming out of the
press.

Best regards,

               Luca Morandini
               GIS Consultant
              lmorandini@ieee.org

RE: Cocoon in the corporate world [WAS: RE: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it]

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.
> Any of them by Sams Publishing? They promised me a free copy, because I
> helped out reviewing proposals about 1.5 years ago :)

Yes, Sams will publish one of those:

http://www.sams.com/catalog/product.asp?product_id={B324E3C2-24E3-44FC-AEBA-1C653B8E28A9}

I should know, since I'm helping with its editing :)

Best regards,

               Luca Morandini
               GIS Consultant
              lmorandini@ieee.org

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Luca Morandini wrote:
> Ulrich,
>
> I appreciate your well-thought comments, but I have a couple counter-points of my own:
>
> 1) If Sun came out with an XML equivalent to JSP, this wouldn't necessary mean the demise of Cocoon: just think of Apache HTTP
> server, it survived iPlanet and IIS nicely

Well, that is a different thing, though. iPlanet has never been through
the JCP or any other kind of standardization/peer review track. It was
not perceived as a technology, upon which to standardize every software,
but as a software application itself, competing with many others. JSP is
a (more or less) accepted and standardized technology and there are
several, competing implementations to choose from.

> 2) I sold three Cocoon projects so far, and the IT people was rather interested in it (whether they will build on this interest
> remains to be seen though).

I wish you good luck!