Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by kashif_tomcat <ka...@vopium.com> on 2008/11/10 08:39:23 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache Load Balancing issue using in cluster envionment of tomcat.

Hi All,

i am doing clustering with load balance environment and got stuck with an
issue. can anyone please help me ... below is scenario.

i have two servers running tomcat 1 and 2 (running in cluster)and apache is
on server with tomcat 1.
here is load balancing entries.

<Proxy balancer://ajpcluster >
	BalancerMember ajp://127.0.0.1:8009 route=tomcat1 loadfactor=100
	BalancerMember ajp://192.168.0.5:8009 route=tomcat2 status=+H
</Proxy>
ProxyPass /vopium/ balancer://ajpcluster/vopium/
ProxyPassReverse /vopium/ balancer://ajpcluster/vopium/

when i make tomcat 1 down then all hits transfers to tomcat 2 with no delay
with same session state. but after that when i make  tomcat1 up and tomcat 2
down then it shows me Service Temporarily Unavailable for at least 15 or
more seconds and in apache error logs i get following message

[error] ap_proxy_connect_backend disabling worker for (192.168.0.5)
[error] proxy: AJP: failed to make connection to backend: 192.168.0.5
[error] proxy: BALANCER: (balancer://ajpcluster). All workers are in error
state
[error] proxy: BALANCER: (balancer://ajpcluster). All workers are in error
state (EVEN tomcat 1 is up and running)

and after 15 or more seconds apache sends all hits to tomcat 1 and session
starts from same position with no screen crashing.

now if i use following entries

<Proxy balancer://ajpcluster >
	BalancerMember ajp://192168.0.5:8009 route=tomcat2 loadfactor=100
	BalancerMember ajp://127.0.0.1:8009 route=tomcat1 status=+H
</Proxy>

then i get reverse results. means if 2 is down then apache moves to tomcat 1
with no delay with same session state but after that if 2 gets up and 1 gets
down then it takes 15 or more seconds to switch to tomcat 2 with same
session state while showing Service Temporarily Unavailable for that time
period.

now if i use following enrtries

<Proxy balancer://ajpcluster >
	BalancerMember ajp://127.0.0.1:8009 route=tomcat1 loadfactor=50
	BalancerMember ajp://192.168.0.5:8009 route=tomcat2 loadfactor=50
</Proxy>

then it always take some time to switch to any other server. means if 1 gets
down with 2 is up then for some time Service Temporarily Unavailable and
then session starting from same position from tomcat2. and if 2 gets down
with 1 is up then again  for some time Service Temporarily Unavailable page
and then session starting from same position from tomcat1.

i have tried different ways too but no success. i ll be very thankful to
anyone how can help me in this regard.

Thanks in anticipation
Kashif

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Load Balancing issue using in cluster envionment of tomcat.

Posted by Raj_Dexter <ra...@gmail.com>.
check if ajp port is already in use or not.
If hte port is already in use tomcat internally increments the port by one
and starts listening to that port for requests.
In this scenario apache won't be able to forward your requests to respective
node.