Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/21 18:40:02 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Karaf version 3.0.0

Hi,

We resolved 1158 issues in this release:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/karaf/site/trunk/src/main/webapp/index/community/download/karaf-3.0.0-release.page?view=markup

Dependency changes can be reviewed here:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/karaf/site/trunk/src/main/webapp/index/documentation/karaf-dependencies/karaf-deps-3.0.x.page?view=markup
(The website published table will be updated after vote)

Staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-013/

Git tag:
karaf-3.0.0

Please vote to approve this release:

[ ] +1 Approve the release

This vote will be open for 72 hours.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Karaf version 3.0.0

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
+1 (binding)

compiling tag worked right away.

regards, Achim

2013/12/21 Christoph Gritschenberger <ch...@gmail.com>

> Sorry for being a bit of a grinch here:
>
> -1, because an itest fails
>
> Results :
>
> Tests in error:
>   testJMXSecurityAsAdmin(org.apache.karaf.itests.JMXSecurityTest):
> Configuration org.apache.karaf.service.acl.command.1387655750210_36.x
> deleted

> I was able to reproduce it on fresh installs (the second build went OK on
> both systems I tested this on).
>
> I'll investigate the test-failure further later this evening.
>
> kind regards,
> christoph
>

> On 2013-12-21 18:40, Jamie G. wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We resolved 1158 issues in this release:
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/karaf/site/trunk/src/main/
>> webapp/index/community/download/karaf-3.0.0-release.page?view=markup
>>
>> Dependency changes can be reviewed here:
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/karaf/site/trunk/src/main/
>> webapp/index/documentation/karaf-dependencies/karaf-deps-
>> 3.0.x.page?view=markup
>> (The website published table will be updated after vote)
>>
>> Staging repository:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-013/
>>
>> Git tag:
>> karaf-3.0.0
>>
>> Please vote to approve this release:
>>
>> [ ] +1 Approve the release
>>
>> This vote will be open for 72 hours.

Project Lead
OPS4J Pax for Vaadin <http://team.ops4j.org/wiki/display/PAXVAADIN/Home>
Commiter & Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Karaf version 3.0.0

Posted by Christoph Gritschenberger <ch...@gmail.com>.
OK maybe this issue's got something to do with my environment.
Cannot reproduce it anymore

Just downloaded the source-archive into a fresh ubuntu-vm and ran the
build successfully,

so changing my vote to +1 (non-binding)

kind regards,
Christoph

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Kurt,

as it's still only contained in the staging repo, you'll need to adjust the
org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg to contain the staging repo. For example
something like this:

org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.repositories= \

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-013@id=karaf-snapshot,
\
    http://repo1.maven.org/maven2@id=central, \

http://repository.springsource.com/maven/bundles/release@id=spring.ebr.release,
\

http://repository.springsource.com/maven/bundles/external@id=spring.ebr.external,
\
    file:${karaf.home}/${karaf.default.repository}@id=system.repository, \
    file:${karaf.data}/kar@id=kar.repository@multi

regards, Achim

Posted by Kurt Westerfeld <ku...@gmail.com>.

[RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache Karaf version 3.0.0

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi all,

I put [RESULT] in the subject just for the tracking.

I'm going to update the website and publish the documentation today or
tomorrow.

Thanks all for this job and Merry Christmas !

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Karaf version 3.0.0

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Good job everyone.
And merry Christmas.

Regards Achim

sent from mobile device

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)
-------------

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 (binding)

FYI, I'm updating and preparing the publication of users and developers
guide, and better integration into the website.

Regards
JB

Posted by Ehsan Zaery Moghaddam <za...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me too.

I Think shifting to Git is a big step forward.

Ehsan

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.
+1 non binding

Sent from my pressure cooker.

Posted by Heath Kesler <he...@gmail.com>.
+1 non-binding

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
+1 (non binding)

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
+1 (non binding)

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Where I'm agree with you is that the system folder should be quite empty
in the minimal distribution.

I gonna improve this for 3.0.1 release.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Karaf version 3.0.0

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Fair enough.

I will fix your concerns for 3.0.1 as you are right.

Thanks to have spot that !

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Karaf version 3.0.0

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
Given the low popularity of the minimal release and given the fact
that issue can be worked around with internet access I'll change my
vote to +0.

We can fix the offline support as part of a 3.0.1 release.
I don't mind having a distribution that would be extra small and would
also require internet connection ( a net installer distro ), if its
size justifies the effort.

--
Ioannis Canellos

Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
Twitter: iocanel

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Karaf version 3.0.0

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
I got your points.

Agree for 2 and 3, but I'm a bit concerned by the offline mode.

I would propose:
- provide the minimal distribution able to work offline
- provide a net distribution (if it makes sense) like the minimal
distribution, but downloading the features/bundles from Internet

If you maintain your -1, I will cancel the release, fix the minimal
distribution and add the net distribution.

Does it sound good to you ?

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Karaf version 3.0.0

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Ioannis,

I would not cancel this vote about that for three reasons:

1/ the minimal distribution requiring a connection and cannot boot
offline has been discussed and validated. It was one of the purpose to
use pax-url-aether. It's exactly like a Unix minimal distribution: when
you start Ubuntu minimal, it will start the bootstrap and download only
deb package from Internet. It's exactly the purpose of Karaf minimal
distribution.
2/ the minimal distribution didn't exist in Karaf 2.3.x, so we can't
consider that as a regression.
3/ agree that the featuresBoot for minimal distribution should be more
"minimal". I would keep config, kar, management, but I would remove ssh
and region for instance.

Minimal distribution is like this since 3.0.0.RC1 (it's not something
that we changed for 3.0.0).

That's why we should keep the vote running.

Regarding the minimal distribution:
1/ the minimal purpose is the one that we planned, so I would keep it
like this, including downloading bundles/features at bootstrap (again as
a Unix minimal distribution)
2/ if users want create a distribution on top of minimal, they can do
that and populate the repo with the Karaf Maven plugin.
3/ I'm not against to create a new "distribution" like a minimal
shipping the bundles in the system repository, but I don't see a huge
plus value for that.

WDYT ?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
As a reminder, the minimal distribution is like an Unix minimal
distribution: most of the bundles/features will be downloaded at bootstrap.

As a stage release, you have to add the staging repository in
etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg file.

Maybe, it's your issue ?

I gonna describe it in the users guide.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Karaf version 3.0.0

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Ioannis,

let me take a look on that. I don't think it's a release stopper, we can
fix that for 3.0.1 (that we can release quickly).

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
It works for me (I just tried).

What's your issue ?

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Compiling either the tag or the source archive works like a charm. Tested
with various use cases which also did what they should.

+1 (binding)

Kind regards,
Andreas

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.