Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Rusk, Patrick" <PR...@wellington.com> on 2003/11/20 15:23:28 UTC

Help needed with Subversion build on Win32

I've been struggling to build Subversion from source on Win32, and I'm
pretty close.  However, there's one problem I can't seem to get around.

The INSTALL file says the following in talking about Berkeley DB as a build
requirement:

******
  If you are on the Windows platform and want to build Subversion,
  a precompiled version of the Berkeley DB library is available for
  download at the Subversion web site:

    http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDownloadList

	[and later on]

  If you want to build the (local) server components, you'll also
  need a copy of Berkeley DB, version 4.0.14 or newer.  Details are
  in Section I.6. For your convenience, there is also a binary
  distribution on the Subversion downloads page

    http://subversion.tigris.org/ProjectDownloadList

  The file there is named

      db-4.0.14-win32.zip

  Unpack the distribution into the root directory of the Subversion
  source tree as <SVN>\db4-win32. [...]
******

Well, that particular piece of information seems to be obsolete, because no
files are available at that URL.

	I can build the BDB source, but I haven't been able to figure out
how to place it in that location and have the gen_make.py script find it.

	Does anyone know how I can get the pre-built version?  Is that URL
missing a parameter on it?  Does anyone know the structure of the unpacked
version of that file?

	Finally, is there any way to look through all of the available
downloads at tigris.org, instead of going through the tightly controlled
URLs put on the Web site?

	Thank you.

Patrick Rusk

Re: Broken link to Tigris file-download page

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> writes:
>
>>Perhaps the attached patch "tigris-download-folder.diff" should be
>>applied to give the correct, full folder addresses; or, more likely,
>>we should just give the address as
>>"http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList" and let
>>the user navigate below that, as in the attached patch
>>"tigris-download-list.diff".
>>
>>The only essential change is that line 607 of INSTALL needs
>>"servlets/" inserted in the URL.
>
> The more general change (the latter, the one that stays up-to-date
> more easily) sounds better to me.

OK.  r7828.  I've actually left the general pointers general and the specific ones specific, as I discovered that there are in fact several of each and it was therefore not just a case of removing a single inconsistency.

- Julian

Re: Broken link to Tigris file-download page

Posted by kf...@collab.net.

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Arild Fines wrote (in "Help needed with Subversion build on Win32" on "users" list):
> Rusk, Patrick wrote:
>
>>The INSTALL file says the following in talking about Berkeley DB as a build
>>requirement:
>>
>>******
>>  If you are on the Windows platform and want to build Subversion,
>>  a precompiled version of the Berkeley DB library is available for
>>  download at the Subversion web site:
>>
>>    http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDownloadList
>>
>>	[and later on]
>>
>>  If you want to build the (local) server components, you'll also
>>  need a copy of Berkeley DB, version 4.0.14 or newer.  Details are
>>  in Section I.6. For your convenience, there is also a binary
>>  distribution on the Subversion downloads page
>>
>>    http://subversion.tigris.org/ProjectDownloadList
>>
>>  The file there is named
>>
>>      db-4.0.14-win32.zip
>>
>>  Unpack the distribution into the root directory of the Subversion
>>  source tree as <SVN>\db4-win32. [...]
>>******
>>
>>Well, that particular piece of information seems to be obsolete, because no
>>files are available at that URL.
>
> The zip file in question can be found at
> http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=688

Perhaps the attached patch "tigris-download-folder.diff" should be applied to give the correct, full folder addresses; or, more likely, we should just give the address as "http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList" and let the user navigate below that, as in the attached patch "tigris-download-list.diff".

The only essential change is that line 607 of INSTALL needs "servlets/" inserted in the URL.

Log message (delete parts as applicable):
[[[
Fix and update references to Tigris web site download pages.

* INSTALL
* www/getting_subversion.html
  Fix a broken link by inserting "servlets/" where it was missing.
  Update "ProjectDownloadList" to the new name "ProjectDocumentList",
    to avoid a redirection and possible future obsolescence.
  Link to the appropriate sub-folder in each case.
[OR]
  Link to the root of the tree, as the addresses of sub-folders may change.
]]]

What combination of these possible changes do we want?

- Julian

RE: Help needed with Subversion build on Win32

Posted by Arild Fines <ar...@broadpark.no>.

--
Arild

AnkhSVN: http://ankhsvn.tigris.org
Blog: http://ankhsvn.com/blog
RSS: http://ankhsvn.com/blog/Rss.aspx

King Crimson lives in different bodies at different times and the
particular form which the group takes changes. When music appears,
which only King Crimson can play then, sooner or later, King Crimson
appears to play the music