Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/07 00:49:08 UTC

Re: [Android] Need a solution to config.xml and AndroidManifest.xml feature requests

Hey Everyone!

So I decided to dig into this and wanted to summarize my findings. Please
correct me if I'm wrong.

1) <edit-config> is a new tag that allows us to *merge* or *overwrite*
elements in config files. it only supports editing *one* element per block
of edit-config. If you need multiple edits, you will have to use multiple
edit-configs.

edit-config is available in plugin.xml and soon to be available in
config.xml.

For plugins, edit-config can handle conflicts with other plugin's
edit-config tags. It does this by warning the user about the conflict and
not installing the plugin. It recommends users use --force when installing
to give preference to the new plugin's edit-config tag. Tags that are
overwritten or merged will store a copy of the original in platform.json,
so we can easily revert back if we need to.

For config.xml, edit-config takes precedence over plugin's edit-config.
This way, a user can override a change a plugin is trying to make. There is
*no* ability to *revert* edit-config changes. Essentially need to rm and
add the platform.

2) <config-file> is used in plugin.xml to *add* new elements to config
files. No reverting. Can add *multiple* lines at once. Not available in
config.xml

The crazy thing is, this discussion started out as a way for users to
*add* elements
to their config files from config.xml. So we really need to add config-file
support to config.xml. New issue for this:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-11968. Anyone want to work on it?

In the future, lets try to bring a summary like this back to the list and
have a cordova-discuss thread about it.

* original discussion (not merged):
https://github.com/apache/cordova-lib/pull/432
* edit-config plugin.xml pr + discussion (merged & shipped):
https://github.com/apache/cordova-lib/pull/449
* edit-config config.xml pr + discussion (about to merge):
https://github.com/apache/cordova-lib/pull/492 &
https://github.com/apache/cordova-lib/pull/493
* issues: (edit-config plugin.xml)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-11023 & (edit-config config.xml)