Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Dean Kamali <de...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/29 07:10:02 UTC

How to create control traffic network

Hello everyone

is it possible to create another network for management purposes?

Similar to the control network we see attached to virtual router, a network
with only an IP and subnet mask, with no default gateway.

This is what I have done so far, trying to achieve that.

1. created a network offering and created a guest network
2. create new instance and attach it to 2 networks (management, and
production network).

When I start the instance, vm will only show 1 NIC with IP address, and it
is usually from the default network in CS.

So even tho I selected 2 networks, it only took an IP from the default
network.

Not sure how to go around this issue, is there is a special way of creating
a network that doesn't require default gateway to be specified?

Thanks

Re: How to create control traffic network

Posted by Geoff Higginbottom <ge...@shapeblue.com>.
Dean,

If you spun up a VM on two networks and it only got 1 IP assigned its probably down to your guest OS not auto configuring the 2nd network.  As a test try and manually create the ifcfg-eth1 file for the 2nd network.

As regards to creating a management network, and using a shared network, do you intend adding this to every VM, as doing so will effectively interconnect all of them and bypass the concept of isolated networks, and their security.

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom
CTO / Cloud Architect

D: +44 20 3603 0542<tel:+442036030542> | S: +44 20 3603 0540<tel:+442036030540> | M: +447968161581<tel:+447968161581>

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com<ma...@shapeblue.com> | www.shapeblue.com

On 31 Aug 2013, at 23:15, "Kirk Kosinski" <ki...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi, do you need VMs on this network to get an IP via DHCP?  If you don't
need DHCP you can create a network offering for shared networks without
DHCP (and other services you don't need on this network) and create a
shared network with this offering.  You'll probably still need to
specify a default gateway for the network, but without DHCP it won't be
assigned to VMs.

Best regards,
Kirk

On 08/28/2013 10:10 PM, Dean Kamali wrote:
Hello everyone

is it possible to create another network for management purposes?

Similar to the control network we see attached to virtual router, a network
with only an IP and subnet mask, with no default gateway.

This is what I have done so far, trying to achieve that.

1. created a network offering and created a guest network
2. create new instance and attach it to 2 networks (management, and
production network).

When I start the instance, vm will only show 1 NIC with IP address, and it
is usually from the default network in CS.

So even tho I selected 2 networks, it only took an IP from the default
network.

Not sure how to go around this issue, is there is a special way of creating
a network that doesn't require default gateway to be specified?

Thanks

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: How to create control traffic network

Posted by Kirk Kosinski <ki...@gmail.com>.