Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Ken Smith <Ke...@wrd.state.or.us> on 1999/03/18 23:36:15 UTC

config/4085: SymLinks are followed in 1.2.4, but not in 1.3.4

>Number:         4085
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       SymLinks are followed in 1.2.4, but not in 1.3.4
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
After attempting to upgrade from 1.2.4 to 1.3.4, I discovered that it would not
follow all symbolic links. It will follow links that are internal to the tree.
It will not follow links that are outside of the document root, or that are in
the document root, but fully qualified. I have set up a plain vanilla install
of Apache to test this without .htaccess and such and still have the problem.
Has the method of following links changed between these two versions?

My httpd.conf has the following entries:

<Directory />
  AllowOverride None
  Options FollowSymLinks
  order allow,deny
  deny from all
</Directory>

<Directory /apps/web/htdocs>
  Options Indexes FollowSymLinks IncludesNOEXEC
  AllowOverride AuthConfig
  order allow,deny
  allow from all
</Directory>