Posted to user@kylin.apache.org by ShaoFeng Shi <sh...@apache.org> on 2018/09/28 14:26:58 UTC

Re: How to build necessary cuboids rather than building all cuboidswhenadding or removing one dimension

The Cube planner can run an "Optimize job" to add/remove new/deprecated
cuboids. As it won't change the Cube's structure (dimension/measures), so
it can run on an existing Cube.

If you want to add/remove dimension or measures, usually a new cube need be
created. If you want to reuse the existing cube's data, in the new cube,
you can just specify the new cuboids in some way.

Let's give an example; Say now I have a Cube A, which has two dimensions:
D1, D2;

It would have 3 cuboids (Kylin skips 0 cuboid):
[D1, D2], [D1], [D2]

Now I want to add new dimension D3, then I create Cube B with D1, D2, and
D3; By default, it would have 7 cuboids. If you want to just build the new
cuboids, in B you can define D3 as "mandatory" cuboids, then Cube B only
build the cuboids which have D3 presented:
[D1, D2, D3], [D1, D3], [D2, D3], [D3]

For queries that have no D3, Kylin will select cube A to answer. Others to
cube B. But you need to ensure cube A and B has the same range of data be
fed to ensure the data consistency.

Just my two cents.

Chao Long <wa...@qq.com> 于2018年9月28日周五 下午3:43写道:

--