Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be> on 2002/06/15 16:51:15 UTC

Banner announce beta

Ok, sorry, I'm late with this, but let's try to make up for it:

------------------------

What?
-----
The new mod_perl site currently in development needs banners to spread the
word about mod_perl. As you probably know, the mod_perl logo has already
been elected, and we have buttons too. However, we are now looking for
banners so that we can get someone to advertise about us.

How?
----
If you have the time, we want you to try and create a nice banner for
mod_perl. Mind you, this isn't a contest like the ones we have organized
before. We are really looking for something to represent mod_perl over the
Internet, to attract more people, so you should put some thought into your
submission.

If we find that a submission lacks something, we will try and work with the
designer so that we can reach a beneficial result for everyone.

Rules
-----
As I said, this isn't a contest. Atleast not for the moment. We will
establish a jury that will review incoming submissions to make sure they
follow the guidelines we have set, because we aren't just looking for
style, but for market strategy. Please make sure you follow the rules below:

1) Banner specifications:
Format: GIF or JPEG (or another source format that we can *easily* convert
to those formats.
Dimensions: 468x60 pixels.
File size: must not exceed 15 kB.
Animation: can be animated.

2) You *must* re-use the new logo. It doesn't have to take too much space,
but we're trying to create a mod_perl brand here. Please also stick with
the same theme as the logo (colors etc..)
You can get the new logo in different formats here:
http://perl.apache.org/release/about/link/linktous.html

3) You must use either the Perl camel or the Apache feather in one way or
another, or preferably both. This is to mark our association with these two
technologies. The reason for allowing one or the other is that you might
want to center your theme around either Perl or Apache, trying to appeal to
the respective communities.

The Apache feather:
http://apache.org/~stas/feather.gif
http://apache.org/~stas/feather_transbg.gif

The Perl camel:
http://perl.oreilly.com/usage/
and if you find a better camel here:
http://wypug.digital-word.com/mod_perl/
you can use that.

4) Most importantly: you must get the message through about *what* mod_perl
is all about. Remember that people not knowing much about it might see the
ad, so they must understand from your ad that:
  - mod_perl is about web serving of dynamic content
  - uses Apache and Perl
  - is fast, powerful, etc.. (that's somehow up to you to complete)
This is the item the jury will put most emphasis on, because it's the most
important marketing-wise.

5) Submissions must reach us before July 1st.

Now what should I do?
---------------------
Send your submission to docs-dev (at) perl.apache.org [META: is it possible
to send to the list without being subscribed?], where it'll be reviewed and
probably accepted.

Suggestions:
------------
We have come up with some ideas you might want to use in your designs:
* world domination theme (statistics etc..)
* mod_perl 2.0
* Using the exisiting logo, and animate it with the cogs replaced by camel
head, feather, and then coming to the cogs. Right-hand-side should contain
some other text.
* Bullet going through the "mod_perl" of the logo--Faster than a speeding
bullet!

Thank you very much for your participation!
------------

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be

Re: Banner announce beta

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 18:35 15.06.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>>>the problem with sending to the list is that it will just mess things
>>>up. I think it's better for someone to accumulate the posts (if we get
>>>any :) and then advertise a URl with all submissions like Jonathan did.
>>
>>I can do that... (just hope I'll have enough space left with my web-hoster).
>
>Do you have an access to www.apache.org? then you could use it.

Access denied :(

>>The problem however is that if we do this, the "jury"/discussion part is
>>gone. I'd prefer the discussion to happen on the list so that we can all
>>participate.
>
>I didn't suggest not to. I suggested not to drag this discussion as each
>submission comes in, but instead buffer up all submissions and post the
>URL for discussion on July, 1. So all submissions will be exposed at once
>and discussed at once.

Yes, ok, I see your point. I'll do that then.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be

Re: Banner announce beta

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Re: Banner announce beta

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
+1 on all your comments.

At 17:57 15.06.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>the problem with sending to the list is that it will just mess things up.
>I think it's better for someone to accumulate the posts (if we get any :)
>and then advertise a URl with all submissions like Jonathan did.

I can do that... (just hope I'll have enough space left with my
web-hoster). The problem however is that if we do this, the

Re: Banner announce beta

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
> Ok, sorry, I'm late with this, but let's try to make up for it:
>
> ------------------------
>
> What?
> -----
> The new mod_perl site currently in development needs banners to spread
> the word about mod_perl. As you probably know, the mod_perl logo has
> already been elected, and we have buttons too. However, we are now
> looking for banners so that we can get someone to advertise about us.
>
> How?
> ----
> If you have the time, we want you to try and create a nice banner for
> mod_perl. Mind you, this isn't a contest like the ones we have organized
> before. We are really looking for something to represent mod_perl over
> the Internet, to attract more people, so you should put some thought
> into your submission.

That sounds like we say that for the previous contests people didn't put
any thoughts in their submission. Therefore I don't think you should
project this contest on the previous ones. Just make it standalone.

> If we find that a submission lacks something, we will try and work with
> the designer so that we can reach a beneficial result for everyone.

Scratch that, as it kills any incentives that one may have. Say
something like:

"We will try to pick the best banners among your works to get the best
outcome from the mod_perl banners."

if the submitter will be willing to work on improving after submitting
the banner, that's great. But we shouldn't state it as a fact. People
may not like it.

> Rules
> -----
> As I said, this isn't a contest. Atleast not for the moment. We will
> establish a jury that will review incoming submissions to make sure they
> follow the guidelines we have set, because we aren't just looking for
> style, but for market strategy. Please make sure you follow the rules
> below:
>
> 1) Banner specifications:
> Format: GIF or JPEG (or another source format that we can *easily*
> convert to those formats.
> Dimensions: 468x60 pixels.
> File size: must not exceed 15 kB.
> Animation: can be animated.

JPEG? I don't think it's convertable without big losses. I think the
submission format should be GIF or PNG. (and the latter can be converted
to other formats, though I think the images are bigger that way)

> 2) You *must* re-use the new logo. It doesn't have to take too much
> space, but we're trying to create a mod_perl brand here. Please also
> stick with the same theme as the logo (colors etc..)
> You can get the new logo in different formats here:
> http://perl.apache.org/release/about/link/linktous.html

I'd rather say:

Using the same theme as the logo is probably a good idea.

Re-using the logo is a must, but the theme, probably not. If creative
people can come up with something we didn't think about using a
different theme, why not?

> 3) You must use either the Perl camel or the Apache feather in one way
> or another, or preferably both. This is to mark our association with
> these two technologies. The reason for allowing one or the other is that
> you might want to center your theme around either Perl or Apache, trying
> to appeal to the respective communities.

The same here. I believe that this should be a suggestion, not a
requirement. I know I've said the opposite before, but again if creative
people come up with something really great without using the camel and
the feather I think that would be great. Therefore, how about this phrasing:

"3) We believe that in order to reach the audience unfamiliar with
mod_perl, but familiar with either Apache or Perl we must use either or
both of these attributes so the banner will talk to them. E.g. we can
put the banner that includes the feather on the Apache sites and with
the camel on the Perl sites. If you manage to put them together that's
even better.

That doesn't mean that if you come up with a very creative idea of
making the mod_perl banner interest people, without using any of these
mascots, you shouldn't go for it. We just believe that using them will
help promoting mod_perl and since the new mod_perl logo doesn't include
any of these mascots, at least putting them along the logo should do the
job."

so can this be a flexible rule?

> The Apache feather:
> http://apache.org/~stas/feather.gif
> http://apache.org/~stas/feather_transbg.gif
>
> The Perl camel:
> http://perl.oreilly.com/usage/
> and if you find a better camel here:
> http://wypug.digital-word.com/mod_perl/
> you can use that.
>
> 4) Most importantly: you must get the message through about *what*
> mod_perl is all about. Remember that people not knowing much about it
> might see the ad, so they must understand from your ad that:
>  - mod_perl is about web serving of dynamic content
>  - uses Apache and Perl
>  - is fast, powerful, etc.. (that's somehow up to you to complete)
> This is the item the jury will put most emphasis on, because it's the
> most important marketing-wise.

I'd add at least: scalable and flexible

> 5) Submissions must reach us before July 1st.

Please submit your works before July 1st.

> Now what should I do?
> ---------------------
> Send your submission to docs-dev (at) perl.apache.org [META: is it
> possible to send to the list without being subscribed?], where it'll be
> reviewed and probably accepted.

I'll have to accept all those posts from non-subscribers... but sure.
the messages will reach the list only when I get a chance to approve
them.

I thought it's may be better to ask people to subscribe to the list, but
it's a probably not a good idea.

the problem with sending to the list is that it will just mess things
up. I think it's better for someone to accumulate the posts (if we get
any :) and then advertise a URl with all submissions like Jonathan did.

> Suggestions:
> ------------
> We have come up with some ideas you might want to use in your designs:
> * world domination theme (statistics etc..)
> * mod_perl 2.0
> * Using the exisiting logo, and animate it with the cogs replaced by
> camel head, feather, and then coming to the cogs. Right-hand-side should
> contain some other text.
> * Bullet going through the "mod_perl" of the logo--Faster than a
> speeding bullet!
>
> Thank you very much for your participation!

The rest sounds great!