Posted to users@zeppelin.apache.org by Paul Brenner <pb...@placeiq.com> on 2019/04/19 16:30:12 UTC

java.lang.NumberFormatException: Not a version: 9

I’m trying to move my company up from zeppelin 0.8 to 0.81 or 0.82. However, we find that when including certain dependencies on the newer versions of zeppelin spark interpreters won’t start and instead throw the error I’ll paste below. This is if we have zeppelin.spark.useNew set to true. Setting it to false just gives a null pointer exception instead. An example of a dependency that causes this is com.databricks:spark-avro_2.11:3.2.0, but there are also some internal packages we use that we haven’t been able to find anything that should be causing this conflict.

I found someone with a similar problem on ZEPPELIN-4074 but no one seems to have any idea what to do. Any ideas? It sounds like isJavaAtLeast got fixed to work with JDK 9 in scala 12 (see here), but who invited JDK 9 to this party? I certainly didn’t.

Zeppelin 0.8 is really struggling for us so we are desperate to upgrade but this is holding us back, would really appreciate any help at all!

java.lang.NumberFormatException: Not a version: 9 at scala.util.PropertiesTrait$class.parts$1(Properties.scala:184) at scala.util.PropertiesTrait$class.isJavaAtLeast(Properties.scala:187) at scala.util.Properties$.isJavaAtLeast(Properties.scala:17) at scala.tools.util.PathResolverBase$Calculated$.javaBootClasspath(PathResolver.scala:276) at scala.tools.util.PathResolverBase$Calculated$.basis(PathResolver.scala:283) at scala.tools.util.PathResolverBase$Calculated$.containers$lzycompute(PathResolver.scala:293) at scala.tools.util.PathResolverBase$Calculated$.containers(PathResolver.scala:293) at scala.tools.util.PathResolverBase.containers(PathResolver.scala:309) at scala.tools.util.PathResolver.computeResult(PathResolver.scala:341) at scala.tools.util.PathResolver.computeResult(PathResolver.scala:332) at scala.tools.util.PathResolverBase.result(PathResolver.scala:314) at scala.tools.nsc.backend.JavaPlatform$class.classPath(JavaPlatform.scala:28) at scala.tools.nsc.Global$GlobalPlatform.classPath(Global.scala:115) at scala.tools.nsc.Global.scala$tools$nsc$Global$$recursiveClassPath(Global.scala:131) at scala.tools.nsc.Global$GlobalMirror.rootLoader(Global.scala:64) at scala.reflect.internal.Mirrors$Roots$RootClass.<init>(Mirrors.scala:307) at scala.reflect.internal.Mirrors$Roots.RootClass$lzycompute(Mirrors.scala:321) at scala.reflect.internal.Mirrors$Roots.RootClass(Mirrors.scala:321) at scala.reflect.internal.Mirrors$Roots$EmptyPackageClass.<init>(Mirrors.scala:330) at scala.reflect.internal.Mirrors$Roots.EmptyPackageClass$lzycompute(Mirrors.scala:336) at scala.reflect.internal.Mirrors$Roots.EmptyPackageClass(Mirrors.scala:336) at scala.reflect.internal.Mirrors$Roots.EmptyPackageClass(Mirrors.scala:276) at scala.reflect.internal.Mirrors$RootsBase.init(Mirrors.scala:250) at scala.tools.nsc.Global.rootMirror$lzycompute(Global.scala:73) at scala.tools.nsc.Global.rootMirror(Global.scala:71) at scala.tools.nsc.Global.rootMirror(Global.scala:39) at scala.reflect.internal.Definitions$DefinitionsClass.ObjectClass$lzycompute(Definitions.scala:257) at scala.reflect.internal.Definitions$DefinitionsClass.ObjectClass(Definitions.scala:257) at scala.reflect.internal.Definitions$DefinitionsClass.init(Definitions.scala:1390) at scala.tools.nsc.Global$Run.<init>(Global.scala:1242) at scala.tools.nsc.interpreter.IMain.scala$tools$nsc$interpreter$IMain$$_initialize(IMain.scala:139) at scala.tools.nsc.interpreter.IMain.initializeSynchronous(IMain.scala:161) at org.apache.zeppelin.spark.SparkScala211Interpreter.open(SparkScala211Interpreter.scala:85) at org.apache.zeppelin.spark.NewSparkInterpreter.open(NewSparkInterpreter.java:102) at org.apache.zeppelin.spark.SparkInterpreter.open(SparkInterpreter.java:62) at org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.LazyOpenInterpreter.open(LazyOpenInterpreter.java:69) at org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.remote.RemoteInterpreterServer$InterpretJob.jobRun(RemoteInterpreterServer.java:616) at org.apache.zeppelin.scheduler.Job.run(Job.java:188) at org.apache.zeppelin.scheduler.FIFOScheduler$1.run(FIFOScheduler.java:140) at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180) at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

PAUL BRENNER
Sr. Data Scientist
pbrenner@placeiq.com | (217) 390-3033 | www.placeiq.com
twitter @placeiq linkedin /placeiq

Re: java.lang.NumberFormatException: Not a version: 9

Posted by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>.
Right, we should remove option 1 from doc, as it is not standard way to
adding additional jar for spark.

Created https://jira.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-4130

Paul Brenner <pb...@placeiq.com> 于2019年4月23日周二 上午8:55写道:

--
Best Regards

Jeff Zhang

Re: java.lang.NumberFormatException: Not a version: 9

Posted by Paul Brenner <pb...@placeiq.com>.
Amazing. Using spark.jars.packages instead of the dependencies section of the interpreter completely fixes it. Thanks for the help!

I noticed that the method I was originally using is listed as option #1 in the docs (here). Does it make sense to include a note that options 2 and 3 are the “standard” way and may succeed when method #1 fails? Or is that going into unnecessary detail for the docs or not even true in most cases?

Posted by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Paul,

--
Best Regards

Jeff Zhang

Re: java.lang.NumberFormatException: Not a version: 9

Posted by Paul Brenner <pb...@placeiq.com>.
1. I used Spark 2.4.0

Posted by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Paul,

--
Best Regards

Jeff Zhang

Re: java.lang.NumberFormatException: Not a version: 9

Posted by Paul Brenner <pb...@placeiq.com>.
Yes.

Posted by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Paul,