Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Holger Flörke <fl...@doctronic.de> on 2007/03/14 08:02:26 UTC

XSLT 2.0 for Xalan-C

Are there any developing plans for Xalan-C++ to move to XSLT 2.0? Are
there plans for a complete new project to do XSLT 2.0 processing with a
C++ processor within the apache group?

I think there are strong market needs for such a tool.

Regards,

Holger
--
holger floerke                      d  o  c  t  r  o  n  i  c
email floerke@doctronic.de          information publishing + retrieval

doctronic GmbH & Co. KG, Sitz: Bonn, HRA 4685 AG Bonn
Ust-IdNr.: DE 210 898 186, Komplementaerin:
doctronic Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH, Sitz: Bonn, HRB 8926 AG Bonn
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Holger Floerke, Carsten Oberscheid, Ingo Kueper

Re: XSLT 2.0 for Xalan-C

Posted by Holger Flörke <fl...@doctronic.de>.
Hi Henry,

> Some prototype work for XSLT 2.0 support in the Xalan-J Interpretive
> processor went on in 2003, but then trailed off.
That's fine. Do you know the reasons why this initiative failed? Are
there to few people implementing, is it too hard to implement, or is
there no clear statement from the "management"?

XSLT 2.0 has some really great features in stylesheet developing. My
favorites are pass-through paramterers and the use of regular expressions.

As far as I know, saxon is the only tools supporting 2.0. Am I right? My
feeling is, that more and more people will use saxon, because they have
the possibility to do some 2.0 stuff. Maybe they won't use it today, but
the choose it for the guaranteed future. Provocation: Do you think a
significant amount of people will use Xalan in 3 years?

That's my point to XSLT 2.0 and now I give you 2 reasons why I think C++
based XSLT processor will be needed in the future:

1) We have integrated Xerces/XalanC within our publishing product Xaver.
They produce at runtime HTML output for the browser frontend out of XML
coming from our internal database (if you are more interested I can tell
you some URLs). Because the software has to run on small and middle
sized desktop PCs, the decision was to implement everything in C++ to
avoid performace and resource problems. Maybe some other tools exists
they have interated Xerces/XalanC. They can't easily switch to java.

2) We transform *big* documents with XSLT, because we use XSLT to data
conversion. If you think about compilations of judgements in germany,
maybe you can figure the size of the documents. Sometimes we have to
process 2 up to 6GB XML documents. It's easy to write the data
conversion within XSL(T), but if you blast your memory you have to write
SAX based scripts for example in python. Therefor we need an XSLT
processor with a small memory footprint and a good performace. Maybe I
have some prejudice, but I think this is only possible with C++.

> then nobdy has stepped forward to carry on that initial prototyping in
> either Java or C++, and the Xalan PMC hasn't put in place any plans
> XSLT 2.0 support.
Maybe I can help and do some work. But I can't say: "Yes! Let's do some
things for the future. Let's do some steps towards XSLT 2.0"

Ups...the topic gets philosophical ;^)

Regards,

Holger

Re: XSLT 2.0 for Xalan-C