Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Erik_l <er...@lindgrens.co.uk> on 2009/10/23 16:19:51 UTC

number of Solr indexes per Tomcat instance

Hi,

Currently we're running 10 Solr indexes inside a single Tomcat6 instance. In
the near future we would like to add another 30-40 indexes to every Tomcat
instance we host. What are the factors we have to take into account when
planning for such deployments? Obviously we do know the sizes of the indexes
but for example how much memory does Solr need to be allocated given that
each index is treated as a webapp in Tomcat. Also, do you know if Tomcat has
got a limit in number of apps that can be deployed (maybe I should ask this
questions in a Tomcat forum).

Thanks

Re: number of Solr indexes per Tomcat instance

Posted by Erik_l <er...@lindgrens.co.uk>.
That's a really good point. I didn't think about the GCs. Obviously we don't
want to have all the indexes hanging if full GC occur. Wee running a +8GB
heap so GCs are very important to us.

Thanks
Erik

Posted by Marc Sturlese <ma...@gmail.com>.
Probably multicore would give you better performance... I think most
important factors to take into account are the size of the index and the
traffic you have to hold. With enought RAM memory you can hold 40 cores in a
singe solr instance (or even more) but depending on the traffic you have to
hold you will suffer of slow response times.

Posted by Erik_l <er...@lindgrens.co.uk>.

Posted by Marc Sturlese <ma...@gmail.com>.