Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "B. Burke" <bc...@mindspring.com> on 2000/11/07 20:01:22 UTC

SSL/encryption & mod_perl

I've got a question related to encryption and mod_perl.  I'm running
an apache mod_perl server (AIX and Linux platforms) to serve HTML
forms, query backend databases, and print formatted results.  I currently
use .htaccess for authentication, although this will probably change.

My problem is that the user/pass info. and much of the data is
sensitive, and I'm looking for a way to implement SSL or encryption.

If anyone can point me in the right direction for implementing
encryption that is compatible with apache/mod_perl, I'd appreciate
it.

Also, many of the resources I've found thus far were written yrs.
ago, and since then, I believe the RSA patent has expired and I
think US Laws on encryption have changed.  I need to make sure
whatever I implement is legal for US and possibly International use, so
if you have any comments on legality, I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks,
Brian B.
bcburke@mindspring.com

Re: SSL/encryption & mod_perl

Posted by Adi <ad...@certsite.com>.
"B. Burke" wrote:

> I've got a question related to encryption and mod_perl.  I'm running
> an apache mod_perl server (AIX and Linux platforms) to serve HTML
> forms, query backend databases, and print formatted results.  I currently
> use .htaccess for authentication, although this will probably change.
>
> My problem is that the user/pass info. and much of the data is
> sensitive, and I'm looking for a way to implement SSL or encryption.
>
> If anyone can point me in the right direction for implementing
> encryption that is compatible with apache/mod_perl, I'd appreciate
> it.

Use RSE's excellent open-source SSL software.

http://www.modssl.org/
http://www.openssl.org/