Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Shreedevi <sh...@tcs.com> on 2006/07/26 10:03:17 UTC

Query regarding log4j apenders

Hi,

Query 1:
Is there a way in which we can specify the max file size in
DailyRollingFileAppender?

I know that rolling file appender has this facility. But I need to have the
functionality similar to DailyRollingFileAppender too.

Query 2:

Suppose I use DailyRollingFileAppender to back up log file every day. What
happens if the log file size increases to the extent that it eats up the
system memory in one day?

Please help.

RE: Query regarding log4j apenders

Posted by Vi...@nokia.com.
I believe that a DailyRollingFileAppender that would roll-over upon file
size would simply not be a DailyRollingFileAppender any longer.
I mean, roll-over would no longer append in a schedulded way, and that
is what DailyRollingFileAppender is meant for...

Posted by James Stauffer <st...@gmail.com>.
1.  I don't think so.  Possibly in 1.3.

2. If it uses all of the HD space then you won't have any free HD
space.  It is as simple as that.  If you think that might happen given
the amount of logging that you do and the amount of free HD space that
you have I would suggest adding some type of free HD space monitor.

On 7/26/06, Shreedevi <sh...@tcs.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Query 1:
> Is there a way in which we can specify the max file size in
> DailyRollingFileAppender?
>
> I know that rolling file appender has this facility. But I need to have the
> functionality similar to DailyRollingFileAppender too.
>
> Query 2:
>
> Suppose I use DailyRollingFileAppender to back up log file every day. What
> happens if the log file size increases to the extent that it eats up the
> system memory in one day?
>
> Please help.

James Stauffer