Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Christopher <ct...@apache.org> on 2013/10/07 21:52:17 UTC

Git commit messages

Looking at some of the latest commits from Corey, as well as some of
the longer messages that seem to wrap when doing "git log --oneline"

I wanted to make a few suggestions:

1) Please include the ticket number at the beginning of the log
message, and in the first line, as it's easier to parse quickly.

2) Consider following the git log message format described in Zach
Holman's talk.
http://zachholman.com/talk/more-git-and-github-secrets/
Slides ~78-98, beginning at 15:20 into the video.
Essentially, this means, leave a short descriptive message in the
first line, skip a line, and write more detailed stuff there, if you
need to.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii