Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by Gonzalo Aguilar Delgado <ga...@aguilardelgado.com> on 2009/05/29 11:11:01 UTC

Display empty portal

Hi everyone.

I see that when PortletWindowImpl does not find a portlet a Exception is
returned to the PortletTag class.

This means that whole portal stops because can't render anything.

I'm writing a small patch for this.

I can handle this several ways but two of them seem meaningful:

        1.- Implement a custom portlet that will be rendered when the
        requested one is not available.
        This portlet will handle the situation and show a small message
        saying that the portlet is not available.
                While this is a good solution if something bad happens
                and this portlet is also not available we will se again
                the main crash of the portal.

        2.- Implement a special renderer that will render the message
        directly from the container.

Is there any useful solution?

What do you think it's best?

Thank you.

____________________________________

  Gonzalo Aguilar Delgado
  Consultor CRM - Ingeniero en
Informática
        M. +34 607814276

Re: Display empty portal

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Gonzalo Aguilar Delgado wrote:

> Hi Ate,
>
> Patch is sent.
I just replied to it on the issue itself.

> About your guidelines... You convinced me. I will give a try to the
> Jetspeed2 again. But surely I will strip it out as you said.
>
> Thank you very much for your time.
>
> I will keep an eye to the Pluto project and also will join to the
> Jetspeed2.
Welcome on board :)

> I hope I can help as much as the community helped me.
Great, looking forward to it.

Regards,

Ate

Re: Display empty portal

Posted by Gonzalo Aguilar Delgado <ga...@aguilardelgado.com>.
El vie, 29-05-2009 a las 12:28 +0200, Ate Douma escribió:
> [...]
> > you say JetSpeed is by far the fastest one. I want a lightweight portal
> > with some enhancements but not much complex.
> >

> > When I checked Jetspeed2 the JSR-286 was not available and this was
> > unacceptable for my purpose. (With v. 2.2.0 I will give it a try again.)
>
> Please do check Jetspeed-2 v 2.2.0 now, we support all the features from Pluto 2.0.0 *and* more!
> Furthermore, Jetspeed-2 is extremely customizable so you can easily "strip out" features you don't need or want to replace.
>

> > But the question is that I want to bring several features to the portals
> > like ajax rendering via dojo and DWR handlers, stable hot application
> > deployment, and speed. And also I don't like much Velocity.
> Jetspeed does use dojo already and we has some nice Ajax header contribution handling for that as well.
> This has been made generic and example (base) portlet support is provided through the Portals Applications gems component.
> See: http://portals.apache.org/applications/portals-gems/index.html
> and: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/portals/applications/gems/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/portals/gems/dojo
>

> > I saw that jetSpeed is on the way to implement ajax and some other great
> > things. So I'm in doubt about extending Pluto to make it enterprise
> > enabled. Extend jetspeed2. Or fork from jetspeed or pluto.
>
> If you want (and can) work together with us adding/extending features like these on basis of ASF licensed contribution,
> your help would be very welcome and we definitely are interested.
>

> > Don't know what to do but I want to do it.
> >
> > But at least Pluto let's me understand what's going on and prepare some
> > demos.
> I think while Pluto Portal is very lightweight and quick to use, once you get familiar with Jetspeed-2 I can assure you
> you'll find a much better support for development and deployment of these kind of features, as well as more direct and active support from
> the Portals committers too.
>

> > If you can give me some directions they are going to be really welcome.
> Best advise would first to start setting up your own (custom) Jetspeed 2.2.0 portal and play around with it for a while.
> You can start with the new Jetspeed-2 build guide: http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/buildguide/index.html
> and then progress through the other guides online: http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/getting-started.html
>
> If you hit the unknown or have questions, just ask them on the jetspeed-dev or jetspeed-user lists, and we'll be glad to help you out further.
>

> > About the patch. I already did a patch that will show at least the
> > portlet with a small message. just modified the taglib a little bit and
> > the container.
> >
> > Do you want the patch to be sent?
> Sure, for this case I think creating a JIRA issue is appropriate and attach the patch there.
> I'll review it and let you know if it is applicable and in-scope or not.

Hi Ate,

Patch is sent.

Re: Display empty portal

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.