Posted to general@logging.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2004/09/17 10:15:27 UTC

Log4J v 1.3 and v 2.0

Gang,

Stephen McConnell and myself are looking into the future of Log4J as fully
supportive of IoC principles. There are some plan entries for 1.3 that looks
'promising', but we also suspect that the Logger.getLogger() remains, which
by itself is a violation.

Now, where is the 1.3 codebase effort?  And is there any effort started on a
proper v 2.0, where we can make the IoC a reality??

Currently, one bad symptom of non-IoC is that we haven't figured out how to
install appenders into a running instance of Log4J, where the appender is
depending on an external Jar which was is not part of the Log4J classloader.
And since all running classes holds references to the entire Log4J jar, it is
not possible to drop the Log4J subsystem either.

Anyone got takes on this particular use-case?

Cheers
Niclas
--
  / http://www.bali.ac        /