Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Daniel Draws <da...@helenos.de> on 2004/02/28 01:26:26 UTC

jakarta-taglibs

Hi!
Actually I'm developing an J2EE project. And I like the idea to test
maven. And first I want to say, that I like it.

Now I want to develop the web-tier and I can't find any of the
jakarta-taglibs (http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/index.html). I can
not beliefe that no developer using maven uses any of them (logging,
datetime,...).

I don't know, if this is the right place: But is there anybody, who can
tell me, were to find a remote repository with this libs.
If not: Would it be posible to add the jakarta-taglibs to the
ibiblio-repository. The normal JIRA-way seems to be not the best,
because it requires more then 25 requests. And all of the older
requests for the upload of taglibs are opend since September 03.

Is there any workaround, if there is no posibility for putting the libs
in a remote repository. I think it should be posible to declare a
dependency for a zip file and then in the build-pocess this file should
be unzipped and included in the target.

thx

daniel

Re: jakarta-taglibs

Posted by Daniel Draws <da...@helenos.de>.
Thanx for your help. Licensing should not be a problem in this case.
The whole jakarta-taglibs project uses the Apache Software License. So
you can redistribute it in anny form including a public repository.

> lots of licensing issues to deal with there, some folks just don't
> want their jars uploaded to ibiblio -- even though you can download
> them for free from the source!

But this makes sharing of a project dificult. The feature I like most
in maven is the resolution of dependencies. I don't have to share any
jar, less (bin)-files in cvs ...

Re: jakarta-taglibs

Posted by Kevin Hagel <kh...@mminternet.com>.

Re: Public maven repos (was Re: jakarta-taglibs)

Posted by Tim Chen <tc...@tampabay.rr.com>.
I'm not exactly sure so please don't kill me if this is not true.
But I think that the ibiblio repository was created by actually moving
jars manually.
I know some of it is sym links (I only know this because apparently it
was messed up not too long ago =P)
If you don't use the maven goals for installing to a repository the you
will have to move the project.xml yourself.

If you use artifact:install for example.. you might see this:
Copying: from 'C:\project\NPP\modules\ear\project.xml' to: 'C:\Documents
and Settings\chengt\.maven\repository\NPP\poms\NPP-release-1.0.1.pom'

-Tim

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Posted by Tim Chen <tc...@tampabay.rr.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 8:00 PM -0500 2/27/04, Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>No, we just need to get them up and available in
>/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository on minotaur, they'll be
>published onto ibiblio using the rsync Jason's running between the
>two.
>
>Notice: Apache Projects should all be publishing thier jars onto
>"java-repository" not via requests to ibiblio/JIRA, if you do submit
>such requests they will now be redirected to use "java-repository".

I have a couple of questions about public repositories in general.
One can see from the structure of the iBiblio repository that there
are ideas of storing more than just JARs there.  Are there any parts
of Maven that currently use anything besides the JARS?

Also, specific to Apache, I see for most of the repository elements
that have a "licenses" directory, the files in there are not
versioned; however, Apache projects are currently finishing changing
to the Apache 2.0 license.  Is there anything one should do to keep
those directories "correct"?

Just curious...

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com

Re: jakarta-taglibs

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
No, we just need to get them up and available in
/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository on minotaur, they'll be
published onto ibiblio using the rsync Jason's running between the two.

Notice: Apache Projects should all be publishing thier jars onto
"java-repository" not via requests to ibiblio/JIRA, if you do submit
such requests they will now be redirected to use "java-repository".

I suspect they should be published under something more like:

.../java-repository/taglibs-standard/jars
.../java-repository/taglibs-jndi/jars
.../java-repository/taglibs-.../jars

-Mark

Tim Chen wrote:

> Request and String have been there since Feb 2003 and Sept 2003
> respectively.
> If you need other ones there then put a request through JIRA.
> In the meantime (or instead of) you can always host your own repository.
> Create a directory on your webserver and add files just as you would see
> them on ibiblio
> For example:
> I have my own repo that is accessed via.
>
> http://xxx/maven
> I can add a folder for
> taglibs
>   jars
>      //place my jars here (remember to version them like on ibiblio)
> and put a:
> maven.repo.remote=http://xxx/maven,http://www.ibiblio.org/maven
> in my project.properties
>
> In addition to this 'workaround' you can also use:
> http://maven.apache.org/reference/user-guide.html#Overriding_Stated_Dependencies
>

> Hope that helps :)
> -Tim
>
> Daniel Draws wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>> Actually I'm developing an J2EE project. And I like the idea to test
>> maven. And first I want to say, that I like it.
>>
>> Now I want to develop the web-tier and I can't find any of the
>> jakarta-taglibs (http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/index.html). I can
>> not beliefe that no developer using maven uses any of them (logging,
>> datetime,...).
>>
>> I don't know, if this is the right place: But is there anybody, who
>> can tell me, were to find a remote repository with this libs.
>> If not: Would it be posible to add the jakarta-taglibs to the
>> ibiblio-repository. The normal JIRA-way seems to be not the best,
>> because it requires more then 25 requests. And all of the older
>> requests for the upload of taglibs are opend since September 03.
>>
>> Is there any workaround, if there is no posibility for putting the
>> libs in a remote repository. I think it should be posible to declare a
>> dependency for a zip file and then in the build-pocess this file
>> should be unzipped and included in the target.
>>

>> thx
>>
>> daniel

Mark Diggory
Software Developer